TN: 2012 Andremily Syrah No. 1 (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County)

• 2012 Andremily Syrah No. 1 - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (9/30/2017)
    An awful lot of Cornas going on here… A touch of barnyard that blew off as it opened (I didn’t mind it). Smoke, scorched earth, gravel, blackberry, a bit of blueberry, fresh oregano/herbiness, a salty quality, some alcoholic heat, but it doesn’t detract in any way. Drying tannins are still in the game. Decanted 3 hours, recommend at least that. Balanced, but just a touch wild, very complex.
    It’s a lot of everything, with an intensity that snaps you back to the New World. Could definitely improve, but I’m glad I tried it now! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Antonio alluded to the fact that Jim Ninns is no longer working for/at SQN - anyone here anymore about this?

Cheers.

Larry where are they pulling their grapes from?

Well, Jim should get on here himself . . . But I think I remember that White hawk was a major source . . .

The release letter for Andremily no. 1 says predominantly White Hawk and Larner. I think Jim was more specific in later releases.
Also, don’t quote me but i believe Jim took over SQN blocks at White Hawk as Manfred shifted over to his own “estate” vineyards.

Funny, I kill at bottle at delivery…i loved this wine, especially on day 2, but with only 3 bottles the other 2 remain dormant. Have corrected that to get 6 per order now.

Kris, I did the same - drank 1 a month after delivery (and it was awesome, way different than this one), held the other two. This was my second, I’ll probably let the third ride awhile longer.

I’ve had a lot of good wines from both those vineyards over the years. White Hawk is also across the street from Verna’s which has produced some great wines earlier this century particularly '06,'07 and '08.

The 2007 Ojai White Hawk Syrah was my ah-ha! wine with Syrah, so anything White Hawk has always been notable for me :slight_smile:

'07 was a good year too.

White Hawk is a pretty special site. 100% sand through and through - it’s like a beach driving up to the syrah blocks. You hope you don’t get stuck . . .

The vineyard was recently purchased by another vineyard owner and I’m not sure if any ‘changes’ are in store. Farming has been pretty minimal there - but a lot of that is based on site and what the vines produce. The syrah blocks stretch the entire hill, and as you go up higher on the hill, yields naturally reduce quite a bit.

I loved working with the vineyard for a short time and it was interesting to work with. I got fruit in 2010, 2011, 2012 and then again in 2014. Very erratic vintages - the yield in 2011 was about 1/3 of what it was in 2010!!! But great fruit - and I was oftentimes able to pull in viognier at the same time and co-ferment . . .

And Jim definitely has moved on - but not sure where . . .

Yeah, Jim left SQN last year to focus on his own label and is now making wines from a location in Ventura.

Thanks for the info. Do you know who replaced him at SQN?

I just went in on the Last Bottle Westerly Cote Blonde. Also from Santa Barbara County. It will be my first try of that AVA. A bit lower tariff and score though at $17.

Westerly itself is located in the Happy Canyon AVA. Was this bottle marked as such or was it marked from Santa Barbara County?

I personally have not been very impressed with the red Rhone varietals coming out of that area, except for the mourvedre that has been used for rose.

I’ll be curious to hear more, and be more than happy to recommend some other producers or other wines from that specific area or Santa Barbara County in general. Cheers!

Just says Santa Ynez now but it looks like past years it was Happy Valley. I was wrong too; looks like I have had another Santa Barbara Syrah–2013 McPrice Myers Syrah Head Honcho. It was an oak monster/fruit bomb though. Not my style. Any recommendations sub $60? Thanks

Josh,

I guess what you’re asking is kind of like asking for good Napa cabs under $150 or good Sonoma Pinots for under $90 . . .

And this is probably worth a separate thread - or send me a PM or email me and I’ll be happy to do so there so as not to hijack this thread any more :slight_smile:

Cheers!