TN: NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 164eme (France, Champagne)

• NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 164eme - France, Champagne (10/3/2017)
    The REAL DEAL! First thing I notice is how fresh and bright tasting this is, with just the slightest of nuanced ox notes in the background. But what really blew my mind was the TART TART lemon sour finish!! WOW that really snaps the palate to attention! This is spectacular bubbly…crisp apple, peach, pear fruits with a creamy yeast and ginger/vanilla spice mousse that coats the mouth…chiseled minerality with some smoked sea salt and wet slate…faint oxidativness, brioche and honey…then finishes with that HUGE fresh cut of lemon citrus acidity, with a little cherry skin sour. I can’t imagine this getting any better than it is right now? A couple cases just ain’t gunna cut it! (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note! Cannot wait to try this.

Excellent notes. I remember my first time having the 164. Blew my mind! [cheers.gif]

Can’t wait to try this, I have a few bottles on order and am hoping they come soon to decide if I should order more.

don’t wait. call eight.

Does anyone have any idea why splits are elusive. I did pick up some pre arrival at Zachys sale a little while ago but no one else is offering them . Do they plan on producing more .375s at a later date ?

Sure, twist my arm. I may just email him today.

only 91 points? come on man, even ag coined this 97 :wink:

join us on 10/19 - call in sick, tom will be there. we’re opening sqn graciano!

it was offered a year ago i think.

Salivating. Still got 12 bottles coming in. Meanwhile I`m drinking the 163 and 162eme

Nothing wrong with either of those. champagne.gif

join us on 10/19 - call in sick, tom will be there.

And yes Brian, take Friday off and come to the dinner on the 19th. I’m bringing a couple of nice bottles if that is at all tempting.

Would love to Tom, but unfortunately my schedule is virtually impossible to break…just ask Edson and Fu! Have fun! [cheers.gif]

Just teasing, someday we’ll share a nice bottle or three. champagne.gif

I must be the only one here who doesn’t think this is the absolute shit. It’s good but it’s too bright and doesn’t feel particularly Kruggy. They say Grande Cuvee should reflect the house style year in and year out and this is probably the least Kruggy GC I’ve ever had. I hope that the broader oxidative notes will come out with age. It’s a good wine, it’s not a stellar example of the house style.

93 points

I’ve purchased 2 lots of the Edition 164eme and the KrugIDs are different. Looking at the Krug web site, the only difference I see is when the wine “received its cork”. One was spring 2016 and the other was summer 2016. Everything else - number of wines, oldest, youngest and all the text - appeared to be the same. Is it typical for the same “edition” of the Krug GC to have multiple bottlings ?

I haven’t liked the last two releases. So I’m fine with it being away from the house style. I’m 164 ride or die

Yep.

The 164 that I had this weekend was not at all the same as the one I had a couple of months ago from another cellar. This one has a different code on the cork, and was tart tart tart, all the way through. The cage left an indentation on what I think is a 6…V1621 K A. I am a novice at this, but it did not taste like the wine in the OP.

164 eme is SUPER tight for a Krug MV release.
Mine are in the cellar.
Looking forward to 165.

BTW, I am totally addicted to the 2002 vintage release. This is one of the very best Champagnes I tasted in 2017. Wished I had multiple cases.