What bottle(s) of wine did you open for the Yankees/Twinkies play in game

I had a bunch of guys from our Men’s Club over to my house to watch the game, eat unhealthy food and drink stuff. The menu was smoked ribs, smoked brisket with caramelized onions (and home made mole optional), and eggplant parmesan for those who want to tell their spouses that they had vegetables. I served two outstanding Ommegang Brewery beers (Game of Thrones Lager and Three Philosophers Barrel Aged Triple) plus a few nice bottles of wine. We settled on (detailed TNs to follow, everything was pop, decant and pour):

2011 Outpost Zinfandel - outstanding as always. A bit less pepper than some of the other cuvee’s and rounding out nice red fruit without being jammy.

2013 Roberto Voerzio Langhe Nebbiolo Disanfrancesco - An outstanding wine that I bought after someone posted a comment here about a sale at K&L and a review by one of our semi-professional Berserkers. The is currently approachable despite its youth. Nice red fruit with a tangy, mushroom-ish undertone. Barolo light.

2008 Paradigm Napa cab - A bargain for a Napa Valley Cab from Oakville. Roasted meat flavor profile with moderate spice and red fruit. made by Heidi Barrett.

Bump - what did you open versus what will you open.

didn’t open anything but on thursday for the alds i’m opening a bottle of ed kurtzman’s pinot (not sure yet) and a few other fresno state winemakers bottle to root for our boy ay ay ron.

[cheers.gif]

2008 Taupenot-Merme - Chambolle-Musigny … corked.
2005 Vincent Girardin - Gevrey-Chambertin V.V. … good-not-great. Not corked.

Had a 2015 Bedrock Monte Rosso Zinfandel with dinner. Then enjoyed a glass after dinner to watch the 4th inning on.
The wine was powerful, like Judge’s two-run shot in the bottom of the fourth.
Had some good acidity to give it lift, just like the Twins lifted Rogers and put in Busenitz to walk Hicks and put the Yankees ahead 8 to 4.
Enjoyable. And so was the wine.

Finished off some leftovers from a wine dinner the night before. 2011 Kosta Brown 4 Barrel and a 2004 Cos d’Estournel.

How was the '04 Cos, David? I’ve a singleton that I’ve been starting to consider …

I wouldn’t open it yet. It was still young. It was a pop and pour from our friend that brought it and we were at dinner for about 3 hours. It was JUST starting to open up by the time we left which is why there was enough for me to bring home.

It was dark fruit and still quite tannic. Very earthy. I think another few years will do it a lot of good but if you do open it soon, I would give it a good long decant.

Three Philosophers is good stuff, Jay. Still reasonably easily available out here in the sticks.

Had Pat B. over. When Severino gave up that second home run in the 1st inning, I pulled out a bottle of Yamazaki 12. Thankfully we never needed the scotch, and ended up drinking 85 Canon and 07 Tignanello, and later a 97 Zilliken Rausch GKA to celebrate.

Thanks, David. Very valuable information. I will continue to hold for a few more years, at least.

There was a Yankees game? Shoot, I must have been living my life…