TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello

I’m a huge fan of Bordeaux. It’s prohibitively expensive, usually relatively hard to acquire, and not the most versatile food wine ever, but I adore it. The fruit profile, the texture, the structure, it all appeals to me.

Having tasted a lot of great Bordeaux, when I hear new world winemakers refer to their wines as “our version of a first growth”, I am, understandably, skeptical. Verite, from Sonoma, makes a fine merlot, but is it as good as Chateau Gazin? For me, no. I love the wines that Christian Moueix makes in Napa Valley at Dominus, but I’d rather drink some of his Petrus. I’m certainly not denigrating California wines–I like them quite a bit. Given the choice, though, I will take a nice Bordeaux over pretty much anything else.

Working in the wine industry, I’ve tasted a lot of Ridge’s Zinfandel, and have always enjoyed them. I feel that Ridge, and to a lesser extent, Turley are able to walk the tight rope between over extracted fruit bombs to something a touch more elegant. Despite my experience with their Zinfandel, I have never tasted Ridge’s Monte Bello, which is often compared to fine Bordeaux. On a lark, I decided to open this way-too-young 2011 and see what all the fuss was about.

The nose on this wine was beautiful: dark fruits, chocolate leather, and vanilla. The nose hinted at something big, belying the 12.8 percent alcohol listed on the wines label.

The palate. The first thing that I noticed (again, this wine was opened much too early) was the prominent tannin and acidity. The fruit was black cherry, Wild blackberry, and perhaps some dried fig in the background. The oak, at this point, was not integrated at all. Ridge is famous for their use of American Oak, in lieu of the more traditional French Cooperage found in Northern California. This taste (vanilla, dill, coconut), was as prominent as the acid and tannin and was somewhat distracting.

After three days open, this wine started to reveal itself: more red fruits, cassis, tobacco and mint developed. The acid became more integrated and the wine became revelatory. The one fault I had was that the oak still seemed much too prominent and, rather than enhancing the wines flavor, became the focal point.

Did this wine make me want to abandon my beloved Bordeaux for the mountains of Santa Cruz? Sadly, it did not. The wine was tremendous. The skill of the winemaking and the quality of the fruit was very apparent. Rather than drawing comparisons to the left bank, my mind was brought to Spain. The closest analogous wine I could think of would be that of Vega Sicilia. I’ve had their Valbuena several times, and have been lucky enough to try Unico twice, and the comparisons to Monte Bello were striking.

I don’t find Bordeaux “prohibitively expensive” at all. Of course, some small number of producers are very expensive, but most are not, and there is a ton of good $25-75 wine from that region.

Can you explain your comment? Do you only like the trophy wines and not the more reasonably priced ones? Or did you mean you think the value is poor for the price?

By the way, good TN, very well conveyed.

I adore this wine.

Stopped reading

I love Monte Bello. It is one of the few California Cabs I buy. But, in terms of relative value vs. Bordeaux, I would say that it is fairly valued, rather than a screaming value or horribly overpriced. Compared to other California Cabernet, I do find Monte Bello to be a screaming value.

I appreciate the Monte Bello commentary, but the above statements about Bordeaux do not make any sense.

I’m in agreement with the others. I don’t find Bordeaux prohibitively expensive or even close to hard to find. Have you seen their production numbers!!! It seems like everyone and their mother sells Bordeaux these days.

Your 2011 is infanticide. If you would have waited you would have had a much better experience.

Huh?

The ‘11 Montebello was too young to judge.

Young Ridge reds (and until recently whites) often show awful to me with that oak except Geyserville. Then anothet bottle of the same young wine isn’t too oaky. Then another bottle is. After maybe 12 years this nonsense settles down and I love almost everything Ridge makes. The acidity is perfect.

Except that I’m alone in not loving anything with Ridge Lytton on the label whether young or old. Boring, or Napa-ish, or loose, or diacetyl, or holding not much in reserve, when tasted with another Ridge.

I should have said, “CAN be prohibitively expensive”, and of course I’m referring mostly to first growths and super seconds. There are lots of great values, especially in terms of QPR. I love Chateau Le Puy, Les Carmes Haut Brion, Haut Segottes, Sociando-Mallet, among others for this very reason. Sorry so many people were put off by that sentence. Oh well.

The first MB futures I bought was the 1998 and have been buying since. The 2011 is the best early drinking MB so far IMO. The better vintages have more there but need time. If you ever find a good deal on the 11 because it is not a top vintage, go for it. May not age like some other years to 25 or 30 or more but for me it is one of the best examples of an off vintage that I have come across that is still very good.

We are a picky bunch. Sorry for that. I agree with your American oak comments, and found your comparison to Spanish reds fascinating. Thanks.

You are not alone. This was 2001 Lyttton Springs 2 weeks ago.

Keep going. For what MB costs, and I too like MB, you can get many many Bordeaux further up the food chain. Particularly at pre-release or release pricing. But even wines up to 50 years old.

At the component tasting in 2013 I thought the 11 MB to perhaps be the most approachable infant MB of my lifetime. I knew it would slumber but I admit to eyeing some 375s recently. I will now refrain from these halves for another 5-10 years.

While perhaps not “the most versatile,” I think older Bordeaux is certainly among the most versatile of food wines. Once the secondary and especially tertiary flavors start abounding, 20-25 year old Bordeaux goes with most things except shellfish. Rich fish like rouget, pork, lamb, organs, vegetable dishes, you name it!

I think their huge popularity is they are easy to drink on release and easy to understand, compared to other Ridges.

FIFY

Interesting comparisons to Vega Sicilia, never thought of that.