Merlot, post Sideways

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-29/the-sideways-curse-has-lifted-merlot-is-having-a-comeback

I have a minor obsession the last few years with Ch. L’Evangile. The 1998, 2003 and 2005. There is nothing like that in Napa. Pinot the heartbreak grape? LOL. It’s Merlot. There are dozens of excellent Pinot producers. How many great Merlots? Take away Merlots that are spiked with 15% Cab (the legal limit while being able to call yourself Merlot) and the number plunges.

I dream of making a wine such as L’Evangile. The sexiest Napa Merlot I ever had was the 1996 Pahlmeyer. That was made from Caldwell fruit, but I’ve never run into a Caldwell Merlot like it since. Realm’s “Tempest” is perhaps my fave of the last handful of years.

Personally, I think Merlot from Washington crushes Napa Merlot most of the time and at 1/2 the price, to boot. But someday I would like to try to make something from Napa that is Merlot-based because there is very little excellent Merlot.

Yep. The Pahlmeyer Merlots from 1994, 5, and 6 were fantastic. And that l’Evangile is one of the best I’ve had. I still have a 1989. And I agree about Washington as well.

Merlot never fell from grace with some of us.

I believe that a wine labeled as Merlot, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, etc., needs to be a minimum of 75% of the given variety, allowing for up to 25% of other varieties.

Isn’t Jean Edwards Cellars putting out a Merlot now? I saw a post with a picture of a cluster of Merlot grapes on their Instagram account.

Yep, you are right, Todd. Spiking is more like 20-25%.

L’Evangile is more like 90% Merlot, 10% Franc.

It makes sense. As the article states “It’s very often delicious. Its silky, cherry fruit and round texture give it an immediate appeal that tannic cabernet, its nearest wine rival, doesn’t have.”

The aforementioned Ridge, Duckhorn, Masseto and Petrus are also good reasons why the varietal could never lose face with some.

One of our own Berserker Day makers, West of Temperance makes a great Napa version. It reintroduced me to just how good a Merlot can be.

Roy, I have had only gloppy, oaky, high alcohol Merlots from Washington. Anything I should try that has some elegance to it?

I will drink Ridge estate and Mayacamas merlots all day.

Merlot is the standout at the winery I pour at (Murrieta’s Well) in Livermore. Hillside gravel with clay (sachau vineyard). Not a high alcohol fruitbomb. Robbie Meyer’s first full vintage of it (2015) is coming out this month.

My wife and I don’t go out to eat much, but when we do I usually order a filet mignon. Merlot is a great pairing for filet. Nothing has helped keep it affordable like Sideways. I’ve always loved Merlot.

I agree Washington makes a lot of good ones and they are very affordable. From Napa I like Pahlmeyer, Shafer, Plumpjack, Pride and Paloma.

I love me some Paloma. Definitely one of the more under appreciated estates in Napa. Since they are not a flashy new winery people bypass it all the time. It’s always had a cult following amongst those that have gone out of their way to drink it or visit the estate. :slight_smile:

Add the 07 Pahlmeyer to this list…fantastic.

Also want to show some love for Switchback Ridge, particularly the 05.

My cellar is stocked with Switchback Ridge, and some Robert Foley.

Love Paloma. And their cab, when made, is killer. One of the last remaining screaming deals in Napa at sub-$60 per bottle.

Definitely agree on the '96 Pahlmeyer. Ever the labels were better back then on the Pahlmeyer bottles.

Hi, Noah. I think some of the best Merlot made in Washington is from Seven Hills Winery (they make a Columbia Valley version, as well as a version from Seven Hills Estate Vineyard in Walla Walla), and I don’t believe it would strike you as gloppy or high in alcohol (looking now, however, it’s over 14% for the 2014). I would also put Merlots from both l’Ecole No. 41 and Walla Walla Vintners in that same category.

I haven’t had a Leonetti Merlot in a long time. I’ve like some vintages of Woodward Canyon’s Merlots, but some can be pretty big.

I’ve had many of these, Paloma, Walla Walla Vintners, l’Ecole No. 41, Pahlmeyer, and more…and I think the real value exists in Tuscany. I’m not looking for competition in the buying of these wines…but many in the under $30 category (for me) outperform some of the more well known Tuscan Merlots (Galatrona is over-hyped in my book).

I’m very familiar with two of the wines mentioned in the article - the Ridge Estate and the Red Hen. Both excellent, enjoyable, varietally-correct Merlots.

That string of Pahlmeyers were absolutely stunning. There are some well made Long Island merlots that age beautifully but you have to choose wisely.