One drinker, one wine, three glasses, three scores

Now I’ve seen everything

Reviewer is reviewing how the wine showed in three different glasses. For all the attention that we give to stemware, I think the exercise is commendable.

I don’t care about glasses/stemware, but I agree on the positive nature of trying and reviewing the same wine in different glasses. Not so positive about giving different numerical scores, however, for the same wine .

Technically there’s one “official” score on Cellartracker. The reviewer is clearly creating a hierarchy of glassware by assigning a different score to each. It makes sense to me, because what we think of as a ___ point wine depends on any number of variables, including stems. Obv. YMMV.

This is going to be an interesting discussion, and I understand both viewpoints. Nevertheless, I am slightly leaning to Corey’s point of view, as each score reflects the total experience. I would have a very different view of a piece of music if I listened to it on a 1950s transistor radio as opposed to a cutting edge modern system.

Joe, a weird request, but I will think you will get more participation if you change the title to: “One drinker, one wine, three glasses, three scores.”

I thought the idea was neat, personally. I don’t give much thought to numeric scores anymore.

Either way, I am holding off on all of my Sandlands wines.

Sure

Seemed kind of silly to me, but I appreciate the other perspectives.

Somebody should buy him a Suckling 100 pt glass

No score and I don’t post to CT, but I did have a similar experience.

When provided a bottle of 2015 Becklyn Napa to write a note for Matt, Freemott also asked that I taste the same wine from a GGG and Zalto Universal. I preferred the GGG stem for the young red.

I liked it, it was certainly an interesting perspective to me.

My wife has a favorite glass that doesn’t work for all wines. Twice she was ready to dump a bottle until I convinced her to try it in a different glass. Both times the wine was much improved. Now if she doesn’t like something she tries a different glass before judging and I do the same.

I should probably do this on wines I like as well as even if good another glass may be better but that never happens.

Well, wouldn’t time factor in as well? Your palate would be affected some by sip 1, into sip 2, then into sip 3. Hard to “reset” fully between tastes. Started red+black, then black+blue, then shy blue+black.

My one word immediate impression from reading this was - “Goldilocks”.

When I was a master’s student at UC Davis, we would do blind tastings every Wednesday night. One person will be responsible for purchasing the six bottles of wine and we all pitch in to cover the cost.

Many of us used traditional tasting glasses, but others used all kinds of different stemware.

It was very common to have one person suggests that the wine showed nothing and another, with a different shaped glass, talk about the beautifully exuberant aromatics.

And if any of you have ever gone to a Riedel seminar, you have probably experienced this as well.

I’m not one who believes that you need to have a different glass for every single different type of wine. But to not believe that there are differences and how will wine smells and tastes in different glasses seems ludicrous to me.

Great post . . .

That info isn’t provided, but is critical. If he smells one glass, then 5 seconds later smells the next, etc., of course there will be a difference. Same with tasting. In most of these comparisons I think people don’t leave enough time for their receptors to recover.

Totally agree. I actually put on Riedel seminar in the 90s and many local winemakers who attended changed out their tasting room stems in favour the one that best showcased their specific wine.

Well what is the news here? This have been discussed pileon
Zalto rules

I like the idea.

One taster, three cups.

I do this all the time with GG, Zalto, and Riedel “all purpose”. There’s usually a discernible difference (GG shows the most acidity, the others more depth of flavor).

That just isn’t possible. You may have preceived differences, but something other than glass shape has to be the explanation:

Jesus. Do you know EVERYTHING?

Glad you found those threads Alan. Saved me from posting.

I thought it was a nice experiment - I’ve actually done it myself a few times, but he lost me when he suggested that the glass affected the taste. A glass doesn’t accentuate acidity, etc.