Which is the best Hermitage La Chapelle 61 or 62, Clos du Mesnil 79 or Grande Cuvée cream label

The story of the dinner that will follow begins with a mail that offers me a mythical bottle, which is probably the greatest red wine I drank, Hermitage La Chapelle 1961. The price is such that normally I should not follow this offer. But on the other hand it seems unthinkable to let such a bottle pass without acquiring it. As for Les Gaudichots 1929 of the domaine de la Romanée Conti, I call my friend Tomo to ask him if he wants to share this madness. Tomo agrees. We each pay our half and it is Tomo who receives the bottle in his cellar.

An appointment is made to share this wine and as two “thieves” we will compete nicely to define our complementary supplements for dinner. Tomo announces a Krug Clos du Mesnil 1979 which is the first vintage of Clos du Mesnil by Krug, a splendid bottle. I announce my desire to open the Hermitage La Chapelle 1962 to compare it to 1961. We both know that we will not stop there. During the discussion Tomo tells me of his desire to open Hermitage La Chapelle in red and white for the 1959 vintage and he says: « If we were six, I could open these bottles. » Instantly I contact some friends by telling them that they could be of this dinner, without obligation of contribution. It is natural that the answers come very quickly and I inform Tomo who has changed his mind and prefers that we are alone. For friends, disappointment follows enthusiasm and the only person who will escape this go and return promise is my younger daughter.

So we are three for a dinner at the restaurant Taillevent. We will have a choice between six bottles, the two Hermitage La Chapelle 1961 and 1962, the Krug Clos du Mesnil 1979 to which Tomo added a 1979 Cristal Roederer, a Krug Grande Cuvée with the cream label I added and a Mumm Cordon Green Half-dry probably from the 40s that I also added. Tomo joined me in the restaurant at 5.30pm for the opening of the wines and we decided to remove the Cristal Roederer and the Mumm.

Both Hermitage La Chapelle have superb levels. The colors are extremely dissimilar, the 1962 is clear with shades of pink while the 1961 is black indicating a very rich wine. The corks show that the 1962 has its original cork while the 1961 was recorked at the domaine in 2010. The two perfumes are very dissimilar. The 1962 has a subtle Burgundy nose, with delicacy while the 1961 exhales notes of rich and powerful wine. For a long time I smell the wine to try to detect if at the time of recorking one could have completed the wine with younger additions. The absolute purity of perfume convinces me that this wine is of total integrity. At least that’s what I feel.

The opening session being very fast and my daughter having to join us at 7:30, the desire exists to deceive our loneliness by opening the Champagne Louis Roederer Cuvée Cristal 1979. The cork is very dirty and molds appeared around the cork on the top of the neck. I cleaned thoroughly and the cork broke allowing me to clean even better. The level in the bottle is low. The color of the champagne is beautiful, fairly clear. The nose is neutral. In the mouth, the wine is quite bitter, with an acidity that lacks a little balance. The observation is not brilliant. But over time the champagne improves and its bitter aspects are more coherent, the wine lengthens and its astringency becomes civilized to the point that I tell Tomo that I like his champagne. It has intonations of Vin Jaune but with a sparkling present and it reminds me of some characteristics of the champagne Selosse among which the Substance.

Then come gougeres that normally highlight the champagne but it is the reverse that occurs, the gougères highlighting the defects of this champagne more than its qualities. My daughter arrives and finds this Cristal rather nice. She loves its old champagne accents.

When the chef Alain Solivérès came to greet us, we quickly built the menu that Jean-Marie Ancher came to order in particular for the size of the portions he recommended in halves rather than whole. There will be: caviar and cress / spelled risotto with frogs’ legs / lobster / grouse.

The Champagne Krug Clos du Mesnil 1979 is a divine apparition. While the Cristal cork had produced no pschitt, the bubble of the Krug is of great vivacity. It is incredibly fine. The complexity of the champagne is stunning. There are saline notes, floral evocations but especially what fascinates me are the notes of red fruits jammed like the heart of a macaroon with red fruit. The fact that Chardonnay can evoke red fruits, is something special. The length is infinite, the directions of taste are all azimuths, we enjoy the absolute elite champagne. In a vertical of the Clos du Mesnil I had considered that the 1979 was the greatest. This one is even better than the best.

It combines well with the appetizers based on langoustine, preferring that the caviar is alone rather than with the watercress, and it gains in gluttony with the spelled risotto and the legs of frog.

The Hermitage La Chapelle Paul Jaboulet Aîné 1961 and the Hermitage La Chapelle Paul Jaboulet Aîné 1962 are served at the same time and in identical glasses so that the comparisons do not depend on the container. The colors are opposite, clairet and black ink, and nose too. The 1962 is very Burgundian, of a rare complexity. Everything in him is delicate and Tomo says he is feminine. The 1961 is rich, very rhodanian, with accents of truffle and small points of chocolate. The 1961 has the advantage of power, very masculine, while the 1962 is a courteous speech.

What is amusing is that the two wines go with two dishes, lobster and grouse, without it being possible to say that certain dish or part of the dish goes better with one wine. They print their mark on strong and tasty dishes without any exclusion. The lobster highlights refined notes while the grouse presented as terrine highlights the gluttony of the two wines.

With the 1961 of that day, I could enjoy the grandeur of an exceptional wine, but I did not experience the ecstasy of the previous bottle that gave me a physical emotion. The wine is tall, immense, infinite in length, but the spark of genius has not appeared and I would not put it on account of the filling in the domain.

Conversely, the 1962 is far above the 1962 that I already tasted during one of my dinners. And we agreed, my daughter, Tomo and me to say that the 1962 deserves in fact to have, of a hair, our preference because of its infinite delicacies.

At a neighboring table, the diners ordered flamed pancakes à la Grand Marnier. The mood being to enjoyment, we also command. Jean-Marie Ancher later told us that as soon as a table makes a command, envy spread like wildfire from table to table. What are we going to open with these pancakes, the Krug Grande Cuvée or the half-dry Mumm? This will be the Krug Grande Cuvée cream label that indicates a champagne thirty years or more.

We are blessed by the gods. Because the Krug is transcendental, offering a complexity almost as large as that of Clos du Mesnil, with a little more gluttony. And the echo he finds with pancakes is to be damned. It is absolute lust. I found red fruit evocations, more discreet than with the 1979, but equally charming.

At this late stage of the meal, we all look at each other and we are astonished to have had four perfectly perfect wines. The 1979 Krug is at the peak of the possible complexity of champagne. The two hermitages are at the top of the quality of red wine with decidedly different accents. And the Krug Grande Cuvée is at the very top of the aristocracy of champagne with an unparalleled gluttony and length.

Sowed by so much perfection, we promised ourselves that we would soon set the stage for new adventures.

The Mumm is the only wine not drunk this time :

colors of the wines, 1962 on the left

the delicious pancakes Grand Marnier prepared in Taillevent

Well Francois, I have read many of your dinner reports. Most make me salivate, but none more so, than this one. I have had the privilege to taste the 1961 La Chapelle once at a friend’s 50th Birthday, and it was monumental, combining power with grace, complexity and lushness, some mid palate lift and the longest finish in any wine I have ever tasted. Even after so many years, I remember it, and still consider it the finest wine I have ever tasted. I would never have dared combine it with lobster, and I am glad it paired so well.

Thank you for these notes.

Thank you Mark.
This gives me the occasion to give the report on the 1961 La Chapelle which impressed me so much :

L’Hermitage La Chapelle Paul Jaboulet Aîné 1961 will monopolize our loves. A physical phenomenon occurs on me. Ten times at least I hid my head in my hands to cut off all contact with the outside world and enjoy what is probably the most intense moment of my life as a wine lover. I am almost physically transformed and Laurent who is facing me will make the remark. By drinking this wine, it is the most absolute and most unimaginable perfection that flows in me. It is the indescribable ecstasy as the wine is perfect. I would be incapable of describing it as it is transcendent. It seems to me that in my Pantheon, which has sublime wines that have marked the history, this wine could take the first place. Or it’s just like. For everything in him is a ball of fire of emotion. I tremble almost by writing these words. Then of course the beautiful duck with the blood, beautifully executed, remains on my plate. For this wine is a divine treasure of which I want to capture each letter of each word of the message. Often, I say that a great wine is a wine that makes say: “wow”. Well, that’s not it. It is the silence of recollection, the one so strong that I felt when I was fifteen years old in front of the Virgin Mary of the grotto Massabielle in Lourdes. I took a long time to regain my spirits, touched that I was by the unreal grace of this wine that fully justifies his fame.

Perfect.

I will not do justice to the wine in the way you just did. When I used to score every wine that I tasted, I analyzed and chewed and slurped and added the bits and pieces up to come up with a score. Maybe once a year, I came across a wine that transcended the scoring process, and time stopped for those few seconds. They were the hundred point wines, and I was lucky enough to taste maybe twenty over the years. With the La Chapelle, time stopped longer, and it was strangely enough a more perfect wine, the Platonic ideal of what a wine should and could be. When my friend hits sixty, there will be another bottle, and I fear,even the 1961 Palmer that I have been saving for the occasion, will be relegated to an also ran beside it.

I’ll echo Mark’s initial comments, I don’t recall a more pleasurable read in the context of language & scene. My congratulations as we know English is not your native language. Especially revelled in this "preferring that the caviar is alone rather than with the watercress, and it gains in gluttony with the spelled risotto and the legs of frog."

My thanks for taking the time to write this.

Would love to try some of those early 60’s La Chapelle’s as it is without doubt one of my very favourite wines in the world. So many examples appear to mature better than perhaps any other non-fortified wine

Mark and Chris,
Thank you for your messages.
To translate my reports in English is a big work and I am never satisfied that it does not give the emotions as I lived them.

For me, wine is emotion. I never take notes while being at the dinner table. I make my report as quickly as possible and the fact to have no notes forces me to go to the essential feelings.

I am happy if you like my stories which are messages of love for the great wines that winemakers and time have created. And the role of time is for me more and more crucial as time is a magician for wines.

We recently had a Grand Cuvee cream label from 750ml and it was incredibly rich but also still had amazing acidity and length to it. Coincidentally we also drank it next to a krug mesnil, but the 96. The Grand Cuvee cream label was the more delicious wine that night. The 96 Mesnil needing many more years.

It is interesting to see that Grande Cuvée with age can be at the level of the top champagne which is Clos du Mesnil very different because of only one grape variety and one year.

Grande Cuvée is the pride of Krug because for this maison de champagne the nobleness of their activity is assemblage.

I drank a cream label Krug GC last weekend. Mine was also a truly brilliant wine and fully underscores the ageability of Grand Cuvée. It’s now a bit easier to work out how old each edition is given the info given on the labels

This is a good decision to have given a number to each edition of the Krug GC which I asked for a long time.
Olivier Krug had given codes which forced to go on the web site of Krug to have the information on every bottle. Now it is largely more simple.

What I had seen decades ago is that Krug GC with more than ten years of cellaring in my own cellar was largely better than a recent GC even if it is put on the market with a long time of cellaring in their House.

Dear François,

Thank you so much for these postings.

The 1961 La Chapelle is THE wine I would like to taste in my life, but unfortunately I never will … (ok, there are some others, too) …
either I cannot afford it - or it will most probably not be the real thing … (too many fakes around).
[cry.gif] [head-bang.gif]

I´ve tasted a good 25 vintages of La Chapelle - and I´m quite convinced that the 1990 will be (almost) as good in 25+ years … but not sure if I will still be alive then …

Kind regards
Gerhard

Not sure what happened with the 1990 in the US. I have had brilliant and very mediocre wines, once side by side. There was a theory that one of the NY bound shipments was cooked, another that there were separate bottlings. Imported some bottles from the U.K. from the original release and they have been really good, but cannot say they have been at the level of 1961, which is a whole other world. In fact, the last bottle of 1990 was not even the best bottle at the tasting, outclassed by both 1990 and 1991 Chave.

Gerhard,
Thank you for your message.

The prices of certain wines are becoming so crazy that the only opportunity to drink them is to form a group of buyers. Two in my case for this 1961 but it could be a larger group.

Some wines change ownership every 6 months with an increase of price which could have been arranged in advance to feed speculation.

By chance there are still great wines, but some legendary wines which deserve their statute will never be drunk and will just change hand every six months.

Gerhard and Mark,
Concerning La Chapelle, there was a high reputation for the 1978 and I have drunk many times, not finding what could justify this reputation.

The 1990 is a very pleasant wine. It could become better, and I cannot exclude that it could become a super great wine, but I think that the gap will be not so easy to fill.

What I think is that the La Chapelle of 40ies, 50ies and 60ies are great wines. The 1949 is absolutely great. So, why not the 1990 coming in this league ? I will be dead when it arrives.

My friend Tomo took a picture of my daughter and me.

I recently drank 1959 and 1990 La Chapelle together. Both were excellent but the 90 wasn’t special in the way the 59 was. It was a muscular and monolithic wine but lacked the energy, light and shade, and nuance of the 59. The absolutely was not an age thing; the 90 just wasn’t as fine and magical a wine/bottle.

Ditto to all of the above.

Bruce