Recommend a wine store in the City of Napa

I have a dear friend who is moving to Napa, kind of getting started again in a new chapter of her life. She is very in to wine, and she recently passed the first level somm test.

I thought it might be nice to connect her with a shop in Napa where she could get some good advice and bottles to try, attend some tastings, develop a relationship, and so forth.

Please share if you have any recommendations, including of any specific persons at any such stores. Many thanks.

Carrie & Randy Bowman at Napa Valley Wine & Cigars

We have a winner!!!

Game over. There should be no further recommendations.

What would be the point?

Can we request that this thread be closed?

sticky?

That would be appropriate.

Thanks everyone. I knew this was the right place to ask.

Agreed that Carrie and Randy run a great store are very nice people and active board members to boot. I have done business with Carrie and have had several nice conversations. I personally think it might not be so bad to have a few stores you do business with. Sometimes NVWC will have wines others don’t and vice versa. If I wont be chastised or banned I would also like to mention another store I like and have done business with. Is this ok ?

Competition is good.

I have had some good luck with Back Room wines in Napa. They have a very good selection of local wines esp many small producers. Daniel Dawson is the owner. I would recommend dealing with him if possible

No one just recommends a single winery to go to in multiple threads, so I wouldn’t feel uncomfortable making multiple suggestions for wine retail. Of course, Carrie and Randy are the obvious first choice. But Dan at Backroom Wines also came to my mind. I believe they have frequent - maybe weekly? - tasting formats in a social setting. Dan used to do some food with these events- not sure if he still does that. Bounty Hunter may also do some organized stuff, although I never really connected there.

I think “competition” creates a positive rather than a negative. No one would come to Napa Valley if there were just one winery, or just one restaurant, or just one hotel. Yes, each of us in the business needs to make a living. But I think a bit of diversity creates a destination. The City of Napa is very revitalized in the past several years.

I would have recommended him too, except he sold the business. Bounty Hunter across the street sold a couple years ago and kept the former owner on as manager, until he retired in June.

Cal Wine, an online store, owns 1313 Main St. It has gone from Wine Bar, to Wine Bar and Restaurant. Good access to wine and the wine bar is usually busy with younger people in the business. We haven’t promoted our wine bar, so a person is less likely to run into and hob nob with others in the business.

Yikes! I had no idea Dan got out. Napa downtown is 40 minutes from me, so when I go it is usually to the winery or for a medical appointment. I’m glad you and Carrie are holding up the fort!

I know you asked for City of Napa, but in Yountville, Wine Country Connection and Kevin Vogt (Master Sommelier and formerly director of wine for Emeril Lagasse’s Las Vegas operation) fit your description in all other regards.