Another Stupid Shipping Question

The back story…

I ordered some older wines (mostly 90s) direct from a winery in California. When I phoned in the order, I specifically asked that they hold my wine and was told that they always check the weather and that the wines likely wouldn’t ship until mid-October at the earliest. The invoice noted a ship date of 9/19, which I admittedly didn’t catch, but if I had, I would have assumed that it was a best case scenario and that they’d still check temps before shipping.

You can guess where this is going…they ground shipped the wines 9/19 during an unseasonably hot period in Chicago. The first box was delivered to during 90 degree temps on Friday and the second box was delivered Monday, which means it likely sat in a hot warehouse all weekend. The boxes were delivered to my wine locker, which means that I had no way of checking the bottles when they arrived. I was thinking of putting them on notice (explaining what happened and telling them that I would get to the locker this weekend)…is that poor form? Also, assuming that there are no signs of leakage, what then?

Thank you

Corey, are these bottles you plan to drink relatively soon, or hold for many more years? I’d check them to see if there are any signs of leakage. If the fills are pretty good, and they haven’t leaked, they probably didn’t get that warm, and should b fine.

But I agree it’s painful when this happens. I’ve had it happen a couple of times with retail shops. One time there was obvious leakage, and I sent the wines back. But then I didn’t have those wines, and never found them elsewhere.

Alan - I planned on consuming most of the bottles in the next 3-5 years…maybe a handful would see me holding for 10 years. But I know wines can be cooked without obvious signs of seepage (experienced that this weekend), which is what makes me worried. First time ordering from them too.

I’d put it on the winery. You asked them not to ship, they said they wouldn’t ship in hot weather, and they did a horrible job getting you the wine in the best condition possible.

I wouldn’t “put them on notice”, but I would definitely either go to the warehouse with your camera in hand, or have the warehouse team inspect the wines and take photos of leakers.

I have to imagine if the weather has been anything like it was here, it’s way too hot to ship. 4 days in transit on the first box is definitely of concern, but the second one is likely not well at all.

Sorry you went through this.

First, talk to the winery and see what they say. They may be willing to replace the bottles.

I do think you need to be careful when you see ship dates on an invoice or receipt. The winery may be using a fulfillment house to store and ship their wines and you have someone there shipping as directed, based on the date on the order, without looking at the weather or other considerations.

Finally, it sounds like you bought several bottles. Even if there’s no obvious signs of being overheated, try one of the Monday deliveries soon and see how they taste to you.

I would ship them straight back and move on.

Thanks all. I sent them a note asking what happened. I will go to my locker this weekend and play wine detective. Will update when I know more.

I also bought from the same winery. Had the same issue re. unexpected shipment - got an email yesterday with the tracking number though the bottles were shipped last week. Received them today (with temps in the high 80s). Bottles warm to the touch, though from the few bottles I looked at, no notable seepage. FWIW, they were shipped in cardboard only, no styro.

This is not a stupid question.

Definitely deal with a principal source at the winery. This is unacceptable and no credible winery would want their wines to be subjected to being cooked and showing other than at their best. And, to ship with the possibility of wines sitting over the weekend is also a no no. I always ask for wines to be shipped on a Monday.

The use of cardboard is another RED flag. This is even more unacceptable. Again, this states to me this is not a credible winery.

Personally, I`d ship them back and not order again.

The number of wineries using cardboard or other Styrofoam alternatives is increasing all the time. Only a handful of those I purchase from still use Styrofoam and most have moved to cardboard or “egg carton” materials. I won’t bother to name all of them, but to claim someone like Ridge Vineyards “is not a credible winery.” because it ships in cardboard is absurd.

I would ask them to send you a prepaid shipping to return the bottles regardless of condition and either return your money or reship wines in cooler weather. Personally I would not return the heat exposed wines until my new wines were in transit as I am a skeptic and generally do not have faith in adult humans and therefore would assume a high probability that the wines I returned would be sent back to me once cooler weather returns.

Whats more absurd is for you to suggest Im calling Ridge Winery not credible. My comment was meant to say that one who ships in hot weather AND uses cardboard is not a winery I choose to deal with.

I think there have been some more science-oriented types around here who suggest that the insulation difference between cardboard and styrofoam is negligible.

As a general matter any wine that is delivered to me in hot weather when I’ve requested that it be held is sent back for replacement, with care taken to insure that I don’t receive the same wines back, or know if I do. Too much risk that the wine will be lacking something a few years down the road, or even in the short term.

Just last week I received a shipment of 2014 BDX, intended to be cellared for several years obviously, in 90+ degree weather. I had requested shipment next week. No raised corks or seepage but the bottles were warm to the touch. Retailer was very understanding and apologetic. Provided a shipping label to return and will ship new wines.

What Cali winery would ship in Sept anyways? It isn’t exactly cool in Cali (or most of the country) during sept, granted we did have an unusual cool down spell last week but it’s still sept.

Follow-up.

I received the following e-mail entitled “Apologies” from the winery:

Corey,

The heat spike in Chicago caught xxxxxx, my shipping manager off guard. Should any of the wines be compromised by the heat, we will credit you or replace them as needed. We want you to be happy. Please let the wines rest for 10 days to 2 weeks before trying them.

While of course, I wish it hadn’t happened in the first place, the response is dead-on perfect.

I think the results showed that there is a significant difference between cardboard and styro

Yes, but how do you know if they were affected. I think immediate return and replacement is the perfect response. There’s just no way to tell if damage is done.

Micahel, I don’t know and likely won’t until I pop corks. I trust that the owner will make good, if I fear a bottle has been compromised. If the first 2-3 are bad, I suspect I will send them all back.

Daniel if you read through that thread it looks like Al and Alan (and others) come to the conclusion that while Styro is better it isn’t significantly better. And that was using a simple cardboard divider instead of contoured pulp shippers which would presumably be better.