The calm gentleness of fully resolved older wines

While young enough to be fully satisfying. Love it. Knowing they were once powerhouses. It’s like their younger selves are still somewhere in there in the background, then peeking out, then drifting away.

Right now Kathryn Kennedy cab 1997. 100 experiential points, meaning, I am fully happy with this and would prefer nothing else right now. Ordinarily a young vintage for Napa but this Saratoga hillside wine is almost home made. Like several South Australia 1998 wines I’ve had this year from all three subregions, B, C, and MV. Home made, expressive, living, aging things.

Earlier this week an old Big Basin Alfaro pinot. 100 experiential points. Big Basin pinots will always be underrated because they need age.

No I do not wish this wine had more oak, more tannin, more fresh jammy obvious one note fruit. I’m making friends with what’s in my glass. We understand each other. Go away.

Well stated, my friend. These types of wines are certainly not for everyone. And I believe that they are lost on those looking for immediate gratification. To me, that’s what makes them so intriguing. And it seems that you agree. Cheers!

Larry more and more there are California wines which are like this on release. But usually less popular varieties. You make some.

Like that Alan dude. [stirthepothal.gif] [wink.gif]

Thanks for the great note George. I have been lucky enough to have tried Katheryn Kennedy wines many times - I used to volunteer on their bottling line. Marty made some great wines from that vineyard and they really seem to improve with time.

George thanks for the post and stirring some memories. I am just beginning my journey with older wine and I’m starting to get it thanks to you and the rest of the SF Bay area offline group. Funny you should mention the Kathryn Kennedy. I’m still buying currernt and trying to backfill and found a few 97’s at K&L earler this year. Popped one at the Brush Rd annual fourth of July party and shared with friends. Its was pretty awesome.

Sean

• 1997 Kathryn Kennedy Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/6/2017)
    Full fill. Great cork. Dark inky black still. Acid, Cedar, Cigar, and some distant mushroomy funk on the nose. Acid, some blackberry fruit still, some forest floor funk but dominated more by the acid and the smooth softened tannins. Its not a big concentrated wine. Its got characteristics of great Santa Cruz Mtn Cab. Not overripe or extract. This seems an especially mellow year. Lets say its well integrated and quite smooth. I’m not an expert on aged wines so I wont speculate on whether its past its prime. But its still drinking beautiful. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Poetry in the glass. Nice post.

Well said.