TN: 1995 Chateau Musar Rosé

• 1995 Chateau Musar Rosé - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley (9/24/2017)
    I didn’t honestly have high hopes for this after the last bottle we opened on my birthday last year. However…this is just in a lovely spot. It’s actually more like a mature version of the blanc right now. Scents of beeswax, yellow delicious apples, and cherimoya…the nose on this is exotic!! On the palate there’s a hint of dried strawberries, orange marmalade, and star fruit. The finish is long and complex, framed by the high acidity this was just about perfect with salami & a pasta dish with fresh oregano, olive oil, and diced tomatoes with some African blue basil salt. At 22 years old…this still seems like it has plenty of room to age in the cellar. It’s been open now for 3+ hours and there’s no signs of fading or falling apart…I think I might even save some to taste tomorrow and see if it shows as well as some of the blancs do on day two. An extraordinary rosé for those that love rosé and the geekier side of wine…just lovely.

Posted from CellarTracker
D22CC2C3-97A5-4909-9D6E-1D6969F985B2.jpeg

Nice! I’m glad you got a better bottle this time. It sounds great.

It was night & day from the last one that we had…I’m saving the last one awhile…I think I’ll do a horizontal tasting with the 95 blanc, rouge, & rosé at some point down the line.

Just those 3 wines could be a really memorable tasting.

Yes, they could…and when the time is right we’ll set it up. Maybe do a meal with them or something fun & unique with a small group or a couple people. Here’s my note from the second night…

• 1995 Chateau Musar Rosé - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley (9/25/2017)
    NIGHT TWO: At this point, this wine has been open for 26 hours. Scents of green bananas, brown butter, toffee, and camomile tea are most notable on the nose. The palate is showing slight signs of oxidation with a prickling tart of acidity leading into notes of lime, kiwi, and kumquat on the palate…this wine is a completely different monster tonight!!! I’m sold…such an epic wine. It’s like a completely different wine tonight…and I love it still. Med+ acidity, med+ fruit, with a medium length, highly complex finish. Epic juice…this is the best Rosé that I’ve had. Wow…just wow. Unfortunately this won’t be lasting another night…it’s just too damn good right now. If you have some of this…you’re very lucky.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice!!

I might drive the 12 hours to Bangor for that kind of tasting. Well…but that sounds so intriguing!

Great note, Kirk, and thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Kwa Heri,

Mike

Mike…is Boston any closer for you? We might be able to move it to Boston with enough planning and the right restaurant…Brian, you should join us too.

I’d love to, Kirk, but cross-country travels sadly are not allowed by my schedule these days. Ask the L.A. folks — even most of them haven’t seen me for a year+. Thank you for the invite, however. [cheers.gif] … and, whenever the time comes that I can make such a journey, rest assured there will be some aged gueuze with me, as well.

Well, it appears I have another Musar to give a try.

I find your descriptor of using cherimoya interesting as I start to use it in some of my notes and pass as I think many do not know what that translates too. I love that fruit and that it is prevalent in the Santa Barbara area.

Kesak