Schildknecht's global thoughts on '16

Vinous folks contacted me to request that I only use snippets and to link their page to encourage folks to see the full monty by subscribing.

I chose to pull it entirely rather than choose certain portions.

If you want to read it, go to vinous.com, and subscribe.

champagne.gif

Really interesting read, but I have to wonder about “fair use.” Seems excessive to grab such a long piece.

It was in the chat forum, which is publicly available, not subscriber only…I will ask him if it is a faux pas. If so, I will delete.

Hard to summarise such a huge area but an interesting read. Already bought all my 16s though.

That doesn’t mean it isn’t subject to copyright. And, if it is, that’s well beyond fair use, I think.

Note, I haven’t deleted…and it isn’t because i’m mean.

Robert - You really should disclose that you sent an offer of 2016 Rieslings to your mailing list right around the time you launched this thread.

I just assume it.

All I see is a link to 2017 in Austria and Germany. Not many thoughts about 2016.

That can’t be what Robert intended since he doesn’t have those for sale yet.

Here is what happened. Last week, David posted two separate summaries on the 2017 and 2016 vintages in Germany and Austria on the Vinous user forum, which a subscriber only forum. The posts were so outstanding and thorough, we decided to turn them into full-fledged articles for the benefit of our wider readership.

After being alerted to Robert’s post here, we asked him to quote an excerpt of the 2016 vintage summary and provide a link to David’s original post, widely considered best practice on the internet. While looking at this, our office was unable to locate a subscription in either Robert or his company’s name.

This morning, we posted David’s summary of 2017 on our homepage. That is the article people will see today if they go to the Vinous homepage. There is always a lot of debate about the value of professional critics. We invest in putting our people on the ground, which is the only way to gain this kind of perspective. I hope everyone enjoys David’s views.

John,
I have not have had an offer of '16 Rieslings since the first days of August.
That is a very long time ago, almost 2 months.
I find your attempt at some kind of smear to be a low blow.
I was simply sharing my enthusiasm for David’s thoughts, thinking that it was a kosher move since it was from a chat forum. As soon as I found out it wasn’t ok, I removed it and encouraged people to check it out through the Vinous portal.
That’s it.
I hope that everyone enjoys David’s views, as well.
He is a one of a kind gem!
Santé

When other ITB people here post things that could appear self-serving, they are very good about disclosing that (e.g., “FYI, I sell X and Y.”) Despite complaints in the past, you never seem to do that, which is really out of keeping with the spirit of the board and it makes you look disingenuous. If you’d said, “Full disclosure: I’m currently selling '16 Germans” (just saying ITB is not specific enough about the potential conflict), it would be different.

From some of the other posts above in this thread and from private communications over the last year (including two PMs today from WBers complaining about the seemingly self-serving nature of your original post), I know I’m not the only one who finds it annoying.

(The copyright/fair use issue was separate.)

I didn’t feel compelled to say “I sell German wine, here are thoughts about a current vintage of German wines.” That’s doesn’t seem disingenuous to me. Big boldface ITB seems appropriate enough when talking broadly about a pretty massive category of wine (all things Germany/Austria?). Fwiw, I frequently do give the “above and beyond” disclaimer, specifically when speaking about producers whom I represent. I can send you a dozen examples, so that you can see how very much your “never seem to do that” is distorted.
You can be annoyed at my presence. That’s understandable.
But to then take your global attitude towards me and toss some vague smear is, well…whatever you want to call it, but it ain’t good.
Would you care to be treated that way, good sir?

I just sent you a private message.

I am not, nor will I be a Vinous subscriber… Man do I miss David’s Riesling reports.

2017? Picking only just started!

So? Early tastes of the berries indicate vintage of the century!

Gotta get in early with predictions!

His 2017 thoughts are about the weather of the season. There is no prognostic hype, just solid input on the weather and its resultant effects/complications.
Both pieces (2016 and 2017) offer valuable input to those who have an ongoing interest in Germany/Austria.

As a subscriber to Vinous and a customer of Robert’s I have to say …

• Reporting like David’s is material that I cannot find elsewhere. Legalistic issues aside about fair use, it seems like this material like this is expensive to create and worthwhile to pay for. If you don’t want to pay, that’s fine, but you have to respect that reporters like David have to earn a decent wage.
  • Robert does a fantastic job bringing many wonderful wines to the US at very good prices. Period. While his marketing is over the top, he clearly markets this way out of a crazed love for the wines and deep respect for the producers. Don’t like his copy? Fine. But cut him a bit of slack as an enthusiast who is trying to do the right thing AND bring great wine to the US.

I will remain a happy customer of both Vinous & DTE and respect both for trying to make a living in this tough business.