TN: 2012 Domaine Weinbach Riesling Schlossberg (France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru)

2012 Domaine Weinbach Riesling Schlossberg - France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru (9/22/2017)
Some slight lemon and crushed rocks on the nose, I like how this isn’t Germany, and it isn’t Austria. Has to be Alsace. Oodles of medium intense fruit, wrapped in minerality from the first sip and through the long finish, along with a just a sense of mouthwatering tartness. Complex, multi-faceted, beautiful wine. I’ve come to prefer this wine from the Weinbach stable, because it is the one fairly dry bottling I can count on. (92 pts.)

have had both the 2013 and 2014 recently. tons of potential there in both wines, but also delicious right now.

Great note Alan - you really captured the Domaine style in a few sentences, also reminds me I have some 2015 cuvee Theo Riesling to pick up today. Weinbach is my favorite Riesling producer on Earth, and while I’m not adverse to a little RS in my Riesling ala ZH, I find the stable usually pretty dry - The Cuvee Schlossberg Ste Cathy is absolute show stopper in most vintages and very reasonably priced at $50 for a dry wine of such quality.

And, what’s even “worse” is that they all - Catherine in particular - are so unbelievably sweet. On the way to our first visit in 2015 our car broke down. Sunday morning in rural France, who you gonna call? While we tasted, a family member made arrangements with a neighboring repair shop and even drove us back to our apartment in Ribeauvillé when we were done.

Doesn’t exactly hurt to know that the wonderful wine you’re drinking was made by wonderful people!