TN: 2014 Scherrer Old & Mature Vine Zinfandel

It was pretty cool last night, a good night for some BBQ and zin. Scherrer hits the sweet spot for zin, not totally restrained and not an overripe monster. The 2014 OMV is really good even at this relatively young stage.
Double decanted back into the bottle for 60 minutes. The nose is all cherry, some floral and spicy note. The flavor is all about fresh ripe blackberry, bing cherry, some licorice, spice and a touch of vanilla. Moderate acidity, a bit of tannin, low oak (and I’m sensitive) and a nice long finish. Perfect with the BBQ ribs.
This wine is all about balance, not flamboyant just a tasty young zin.

If you have a few don’t hesitate to open one but I think this will be even better with another year or so of age.

Tom

FYI did a tasting with Fred in July and asked to try older Zin. He opened an 05. Never would have guessed Zin if blind. Would have guessed bordeaux blend. I buy mixed case of both Zins each year and am holding most for 10+ years. That experience only made my resolve to do so stronger.

Love Scherrer OMV! My personal fav QPR wine period (when bought on futures). Thanks and I agree with your notes about the 14.

Thanks for the note!!!

Scherrer zin is the best! And they age beautifully. I bought from him a magnum of '08 OMV for my kid’s birth year last time I was there.

These wines are so great. The whole lineup is full of pleasure.

Fred’s OMV zins do indeed age well, am still working my way through the 09’s…

Yes they do age AND improve with age. Of the more recent vintages 2013 for me will be especially age worthy. Has that combination of very good concentration (not extraction), balance and elegance.

Tom

Pro tip: the vast majority of OMV really start to shine at 6 years afters the vintage and hold on from there. The only problem I have is lack of will power…