Huet 2016?

Any early input into the quality of the Huet 2016 across the sec and demi-sec range? I’ve loved the 2014s and 2015s that I’ve tried.

I bought a few of the Le Mont secs like I do every year. Seems like futures from all the US retailers that I looked at, though I didn’t do an exhaustive search. I bought mine from JJB, for delivery next spring (which admittedly seemed oddly far out).

Will open Le Mont DS (already in possession) soon. Will report back.

Does it seem like a bigger price jump for the Huets this year?

I’ve cut down on my wine buying so I didn’t buy Moelleux this year but on-arrival pricing by newsletter was $38.99 for LM DS and $59.99 for LM M 1er Trie. That’s around where it’s been although I would not count on next summer/fall blowouts on the 2016s, as sometimes occurs, because the crop is relatively short and demand is decent.

I’d say $38.99 for a wine I have some confidence that my yet-to-be-born grandchildren can enjoy, with glee, long after I’m gone seems like a bargain.

For context I paid $35 for 2015 on sale a few weeks ago from Crush at the yearly progressive sale although it was even cheaper on the final day blowout the next day. But I paid $41.99 for 2014. I’m sure I could have done better if I’d shopped around but …

Gotcha, I paid 31 last year and same source is 39 this year. I’ll watch WS once it cools off some. Thanks for the data point.

It’s funny, I asked this question back in July – Domaine Huet 2016 Vintage - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers – and nobody knew much. Guess we still don’t. Prices are up, likely because yields are down. Hard to find much info besides ratings/scores alone, but it seems like a good vintage, if only because they made the full range. I picked up some demis, but haven’t opened any yet. Surprised there hasn’t been more chatter.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and there only tasting the 2015s. I did not expect to enjoy the 2015 demi-secs as much as I did. Nice wines across the board.

2016 Clos du Bourg DS last weekend was classic. A whomp of perfect balance from front to back. Too easy to drink quickly. (Comparison to LM TBD.)

Thierry, were they pouring any Petillant?

Do you mean the '16 CDB demi I opened last Friday, Jayson? Remember, you were going to bring the '15. neener

The '16 showed beautifully. Needed a few hours open to really start to come together and show the beautifully minerality and stellar balance. Nice quince and light apple flavors and aromas to go with all the mineral. I think all the concern about the domaine that came the release of the '11s and '12s was simply a case of tough vintages at this point. They’ve had a few terrific vintages in a row and the quality of the wines are as good as ever.

I remember I picked up a few of the 2014 Le Mont Secs on sale for $28. I should have gotten more… little did I know. So ignorant.

Oops. Now I have to edit my post above. 2016 hot off the presses!!

Brad, I’m disappointed you didn’t give the wine a grade.

We received the 2016’s at retail in late August.

A/A- to Low A. [cheers.gif]

I popped a '16 Haut-Lieu demi recently, and just posted a note on CT. I think there’s obvious potential, but it’s not showing very much right now.

• 2016 Domaine Huet Vouvray Demi-Sec Le Haut-Lieu - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (11/8/2017)
    This is showing fairly one-note at present. On the first night, sweetness dominates, to the exclusion of most everything else. In fairness, I drank it too cold and without enough air, which was my fault. It was a little more balanced on the second night, but the soil and grip that arrives at the very tail end was too late to make much of a difference. But it’s there, and it’s just not ready to come out. If you open one now, I recommend letting it warm up and giving it quite a bit of air.

Posted from CellarTracker

There have been some premox problem with 2000s vintages though. I agree that absent premox, these have great aging potential.

The only premox to my knowledge has been in the 2002 sec, demi-sec, and fizz. (I got rid of mine.). I’ve not seen or heard of it in any other Huets.

I think he’s trolling Brad.

No, he’s right. Just the '02s have real problems.