TN: 2015 Railsback Freres Mouvedre, Santa Ynes Valley

Paging Drew Goin. This is some seriously good domestic Mouvedre. I’ve never heard of this producer, but I was looking for something different and the 1 solid winebar/retail joint in Central Phx strongly recommended this. So happy I tried it, as you can color me wildly impressed. I guess the owners or wine-maker have ties to Lieu Dit, and also Kermit Lynch in some way…so maybe that helps explain the deft hand they obviously have with this grape, as it was literally one of the best Mouvedre’s I’ve had from CA. The wine pours a fairly translucent maroonish/brown color that at first glance gives the impression that it’s much older than it really is. Just a show-stopping nose of black cherries, earth, and…this is going to sound weird…malt-o-meal with brown sugar (in a really good way), with everything melding together in perfect harmony. I was honestly blown away just by the smell of this wine. Just as good on the palate, with cranberry, rhubard, baking spices, and a nice dusty bitter element on the finish. The finish was a bit clipped on day 1, but fully fleshed out on day 2 and lasted a good 40 seconds. Not sure how much of this wine was made, but If you’re a fan of mouvedre (domestically or elsewhere), I highly recommend seeking this out. Really good stuff Maynard.
20170909_064924.jpg

Just had the Railsback Red at a restaurant last night. Never heard of it. Color me very impressed. Delicious!

It was the 2020 FWIW. Looks like they’re sold out.

Its REALLY good, right! I just opened another 2015 a month or two ago and was equally as impressed. Great wine and a nice value!

Eric R was featured in the 1st Somm movie . . .

Cheers

1 Like

As Larry said, Eric Railsback had small scenes in the Somm movie, and was one of the founders of Les Marchand in Santa Barbara. His brother, Lyle, used to be the NW sales rep for Kermit Lynch and then moved to NY and worked for them there for a while. I haven’t seen either of them in years, but I’m guessing the wines are going to be in a more restrained, old world style. I was on a KL trip with Eric one year, and he’s a really funny guy and one of the best blind tasters I’ve seen.

1 Like

Lyle worked at Paley’s Place prior to working for Lermit, and is also a very funny guy with an excellent palate. I would expect the wines to be very good.

1 Like