TN: 2012 MacDonald

I am a long-time member and daily lurker but seldom post. However, I feel compelled to share my experience last weekend when I popped the cork on a bottle of the 2012 MacDonald in celebration of my son’s 40th birthday. Like many others on this list, I had missed out on the 2010 and 2011 despite my diligent efforts. As recommended, I gave the 2012 a two-hour decant before its trip to our favorite Newport Beach restaurant. From my first velvety sip, I know that this was the most sublime bottle of Napa Cabernet I had ever tasted (and I have tasted most of the Napa “first growth” wines). The wine opened with tastes of dark cherry and plums, followed by layers of black fruit on the mid palate and finishing with a luscious full-bodied mouth feel.

There are occasions in life when a wine can transcend all else to become a lifelong memory and a moment we wish we could savor forever. This was one of those moments for me. A big thank you to Alex and Graeme for resurrecting their grandparents’ legacy, for researching and sharing the history of To Kalon with us, and for their devotion to producing the finest expression of Oakville fruit. To those with 2012 MacDonald in your cellars, you will be rewarded. To those still patiently on the wait list, be assured that the wait will be worth it.

There should be secondary Berserker pins showing everyone’s love for their pet wineries.

I :heart: _________ (fill in your favorite producer) under the tipping bottle Berserker logo, where the wine is pouring into the heart.

ps - you could change the color of the heart to match your favorite wine.

What a great note, Jack! How wonderful to celebrate a special moment with such a memorable wine. I have a feeling my family will be opening a MacDonald cab, too, at big celebrations down the road.

Thanks, Sherri. I hope you enjoy the 2012 as much as I did and that it makes your special occasion even more memorable.

Jack, excellent Post I could not have said it Better!

This type of thread needs to be curtailed. For those lucky enough to get to taste these ultra rare wines its great and its exciting to tell everyone that you have tasted them but for a lot of people who are not able to taste these wines because of allocation or quite possibly cost the rubbing in is a bit much.

[snort.gif]

I told Alex MacDonald that the bottle of 2012 we shared back in April of this year was the second greatest young red I’d ever tasted. When I told him the best was a 2000 Margaux, he said he wasn’t mad at all with that ranking… [drinkers.gif]

Right, and long live our Hall Monitors! neener

Wow, both MacDonald threads hijacked with triggered comments today!

Indeed, the 2012 is a masterpiece. I dug into one this Spring and was rewarded immensely after a long decant. A great wine for memorable times!

Opening a 12 this holiday season so I appreciate this TN.

I’ll drink to that [wink.gif]

A day that will live in irony.

Unfortunately, sarcasm is a dying art. As such, it is lost on many.

And nostalgia isn’t what it used to be either… :wink:

Well done