Corksrews and TSA

This morning traveling out of IAH and for probably the first time I have ever done this I decided to carry on my bag. TSA pulled it aside and went inside. I had three corkscrews in my Dopp Kit along with a crappy little made in China army knife. They let me keep all three corkscrews but took the knife. I was astounded about the corkscrews because I have lost some that way in the past. Fully understand the knife which losing was not a big deal. Things must have changed. I was really glad to get them back.

I hope so. I have lost more than my share, including my Leatherman Juice and that is why I started carrying this one…no knife, they let you keep them:

All three had a small foil cutter knife on the other end.

George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Dallas TX.
For those who don’t know.

IAH is in Houston

Oops

Thanks

Correction

George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Houston, TX.

I had one confiscated once (and a couple other times) a couple years back and I gave the TSA agent a hard time about it when he pulled out the knife blade and said ‘see this.’ I then proceeded to mention that ice skates are allowed as a carry on and far more dangerous than a 1/4" dull blade. He was miffed and turned to a supervisor and she nodded her head that ice skates are indeed allowed. I made a few more comments and the supervisor told me to calm down…I walked off, without my wine key.

We had our corkscrews confiscated at the Eiffel Towel.

Being in Paris without an opener made us feel very sad.

That is why I just carry an Ah So.

Not really, but I may consider it in the future.

Ah, the mysterious minds of airport security staffs!

Ten years ago, I stayed and dined at the (marvelous) Bussaco Palace Hotel near Coimbra, Portugal, where they make their own wine. I asked to waiter for the empty half bottles.

When I packed for the return trip, for some reason, I put these in my camera bag, which I was carrying on, instead of in my suitcase. When I reached security at the Lisbon airport, the guard told me I would have to give up the bottles. I wasn’t allowed to bring glass on board, he said. (I’d never seen any rule like that.)

I pleaded with him and told him these were important souvenirs of a wonderful visit to Portugal, and he said he would speak to his supervisor.

When he returned, he said I could bring keep one bottle.

I couldn’t help wondering what he’d have done if I’d had two box cutters: Allow me to keep one?

In and out of both Dallas airports more than once with my tactical pen allowed only to have it taken away in Dallas last visit.

Had one taken at LAX (Los Angeles) 2 months ago.

We had our corkscrews confiscated at the Eiffel Towel.

They don’t want them to snag the threads.

And yet when you get on board, in business and first, they give you a big metal knife to eat with. Makes no sense does it…all smoke and mirrors.

Indeed, there are remarkable inconsistencies e.g. in John’s instance he could have bought any number of glass bottles, all filled for greater impact when wielded, and some at the strength where it would ignite with a lighter and a piece of clothing - all of course allowed.

I’ve not taken a corkscrew in carry on for many years, though I do put an old one I don’t much like in the hold luggage. The intention is that we take it just in case the apartment doesn’t have one (or it’s really rubbish), in which case we’ll leave it there on departure. It’s been back and forth with us on ~ a dozen trips I reckon!

You haven’t been allowed to carry liquid on an aircraft since 06, so if what happened to John happened within the last 11 years, he could not have taken a full bottle on.

I agree that the rules can be applied inconsistently, but, really, given that some of the 9/11 highjackers used box cutters, rules against things like corkscrews aren’t completely without reason. And since you aren’t allowed to carry your own wine on, I wonder why you need it on carry-on (unless, I guess, carry-on is all you have, and then it is an inconvenience).

Jonathan, a corkscrew is often handy when I don’t pack wine as I have often found that there are wine stores in the places to which I travel. [cheers.gif]

You can if bought from within the airport (once past security) - unless duty free shops have stopped stocking bottles in the US… they certainly are still there in Europe and you definitely can take them onto the plane in cabin baggage.

True, because then they can be assured of the contents of the bottle. I don’t think you can even light wine on fire unless you can first heat it up.