What are the "great" roses you've had?

The other day, I had a really excellent bottle of rosé that I’m still thinking about several days later. It was both refreshing and serious and cerebral… Still, I only gave it a 92 (which for me is the threshold of “seriously good juice”).

I’m curious what others consider the “best” serious roses they’ve had, and how they compare to the best reds or whites they’ve had? I think of Tempier and LdH as producing standout and memorable roses, but they’re still not as rewarding as their reds or whites (in the case of LdH).

And any thoughts on why there aren’t more serious ones?

ps. rose sparklers don’t count! :slight_smile:

• 2013 Domaine Dupasquier Vin de Savoie Rosé - France, Savoie, Vin de Savoie (9/14/2017)
    Delicious from the get go. Seaspray and minerals, bristling with tension, strawberry meringue, a whiff of honeydew, focused and suave, and a textural depth that snaps the palate to attention. A year in barrel and it shows what a serious rose can be. Wish I had a case. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2015 Il Poggione (Proprietá Franceschi) Brancato Toscana IGT

We really like this one (the '15 and '16 are very similar):

“Very pale salmon/copper color. Delicious. Crisp, mineral, light herbs.”
Gorgeous! Went beautifully with salade nicoise. One of the most compelling wines I’ve ever had. Great balance of acidity and herbal notes, interesting structure. Excellent length. This is now one of my favorite rosés. Elisabetta rocks! NB: Should be “Caniuolo,” which in fact is the grape (no Sangiovese here).

Posted from CellarTracker

I think it would be nice to let us know the retail price paid for each.

In this day and age when everyone is awash with roses and there are many sub-$15 ones out there, my guess is that the added tariff is most likely ‘worth it’ in many cases.

Cheers.

I paid $26 for the Dupasquier rose… notes say it’s aged 1 year in barrels and 18 mos in bottle before release.

My favorite this summer has been Kutch.

2000 Lopez de Heredia Rosado. An OMG wine.

Jorge, I agree it’s an OMG wine… but I don’t quite find it be in the league of the sublime, like a good bottle of their Tondonia Gran Reserva, red or white.

valentini

Freddy Mugnier had to replant his Bonnes Mares in the early eighties.

made a rosé the first vintage in ’86, nothing short of specktack…

other than that, ’69 Veuve Cliquot Rosé magnum

It’s OMFG for QPR. Under $15 Can at the KGBO. But yes for over $20 or 25 you should get more complexity.

Gassier pretty good value in all incarnations but especially Esprit de Gassier.

Rock Angel (not the Whispering one that’s everywhere).

And I was quite surprised a couple of months ago (in a good way) by an entry from Napa. Belle Glos Oeil de Perdrix Pinot Noir Blanc, which is actually rose, is a tasty complex mouthful. More $$$ though.

[edited for auto-incorrect]

Tempier, hands down – for me, it beats all/most roses outside of champagne.

Thanks, but i’m not asking about QPR. I’m trying to ask why there aren’t many roses that transcend good QPR and which one might call a “great” wine. Aside from maybe SQN, I can’t even think of any roses that sell for >$50…

ps. Not sure where you found LdH rosado for <$15, as it was ~$26 on release.

+1

Tondonia Rose after 5+ years in the cellar kicks into another gear. My favorite.

Cotat Roses are world class but not successful in every vintage. Recent successes for Francois are 2004, 2005, and 2008. Not 2009. I’d say it’s too early to tell yet on 2010 forward. Hope to drink some Pascal at a vertical in near future to get a better sense of where various vintages stand.

Dehlinger Rose of Pinot Noir has been my favorite domestic Rose the last 3 vintages. No matter how much i get I always wish I had more. Runs around $20

For California, I think Mr Larry’s Tercero Mourvedre Rose is a tasty beverage. I should have set one aside for a few years to see how it changes.

Also, the Bedrock Ode to Lulu gets a lot of love here.

Clos Cibonne Tibouren “Tradition” Côtes de Provence Rosé. I’ve only had the past couple of vintages of this wine but IMHO it blows pretty much every other rosé out of the water - Tempier in a good vintage is probably the only one I’ve had that comes close. Lots of very pleasant rosé wines out there (and some are terrific QPR) but few that are “great”. The Clos Cibonne is usually in the $27-30 price range.

+1 My pick as well.

Domaine Ott. Every time…