TN: 1991 Chapoutier Cote Rotie La Mordoree

The Jamet thread had me craving Cote Rotie so with no Jamet handy it was time to have one of these. Wow wine here! It had a gorgeously complex nose of strawberry blackberry resin and grilled steak with Provencial herb and a touch of olive. The palate was velvety, intense and beautifully balanced and equally fantastic. The complexity was remarkable – you couldn’t ask for more. One of the wines of the year in a lucky year of great wine. 99pts

I agree - this is a very fine effort (although only tasted once a good 7-8 years ago) - definitely rivals the LaLas / Guigal …

Also 1989/90 are outstanding, although ´89 is slightly over apogée now imho …

How is Chapoutier Hermitage 1969? (seen at an auction)

A very different kind - they changed almost everything in 1988 …
1969 can be good, but I´ve never tasted it …
definitely old school … probably past best …

Thanks, Gerhard!

I understand your motivation to open up a Cote Rotie and although I have not had this vintage, I love this one from Chapoutier. I usually find these to be velvety as well, but I`ve found a bit of pepper and spice in others which evidently was not in this bottle. Thanks for the recall.

Might not be part of the buzz in the northern Rhone these days, but I always really enjoy Chapoutier’s Mordoree CR. Thanks for the note.

Jbray23 brought a mid-60s Chapoutier Cote Rotie multi vintage blend, some special cuvee they used to do. It was fantastic. Based on that I’d give a '69 a look, I have no idea of vintage quality but wasn’t shabby a little further north in Burgundy so maybe a nice year in CR?