Zinfandels: Where is the pepper?

Initially, the appeal that Zinfandels held for me were the distinctive peppery notes they delivered that I did not find in other reds. While I enjoy some of the newer (at least to me) styles marked by, say, cola notes (Kosta Browne RRV) and wood/smoke (GoldenEye,) I kinda miss the pepper I recall enjoying in earlier times.

The last peppery zin I recall drinking was a Ridge Carmichael Vineyard (06, I think.) Any recommendations on others?

I’m with you, Robert. The Uber-ripe or oaky Zins do not work for me, and I think they obscure the top-notes of quality Zin vineyards. I like pepper and bramble in my Zins as well.

Some of the Bedrock Zins exhibit that note, here is my recent comments on one:

I tend to think Bedrock’s Zins really need some time to shine, except the base bottling which is a spectacular bottling on average.

Well, tonight I popped the 2014 Bedrock Dolinsek Range Heritage Zin on a whim. Steak night, craved a Zin and this one was looking at me.

This is the best young Bedrock that I have ever had. Remarkably approachable, not primary in the least. Already showing tobacco notes, pine sap, herbs and dry earth. Killer pepper spice on the nose. But what gets me is the power and ripeness of the red fruits on this wine, almost like free run juice. So sweet and succulent but lifted with a nice cut of acid and not overpowered by alcohol in any way. Farm to glass transfer on this one.

This is a truly excellent Zin.

(94 pts.)

A 2014 Bedrock Heritage that I popped a couple of weeks ago, did not, showcasing a bit too much new oak for my tastes.

Look for something from Howell Mountain like Outpost or Black Sears.

Tom

Wow, I have never even heard of Kosta Browne zinfandel.

Same with Goldeneye!

You must be finding some exclusive zinfandels! [cheers.gif]

I still favor A Rafanelli, Nalle, and will try to think of some others…

That pepper is harder to come by when the grapes are picked at 27+ Brix. [soap.gif]

With the caveat that I’ve been out of the Zin game for 15 years…if you want pepper, the old Pesenti’s had it in spades. Nalle Zins should still be a good place to look.

Knowing there’re exceptions to every wine rule, I expect there’re BB Zinsters who can point to riper style Zins that preserve it.

RT

It’s been over a decade, so styles can shift, but I think Black Sheep Winery’s Amador Zinfandel may fit your bill, and affordable!

Ah, yes…I was asleep at the switch this morning and clearly not thinking straight :slight_smile: Combination of too much wine last night and not enough coffee this morning. Of course, KB and Goldeneye are pinot noirs. But I really do want some Zin suggestions.

So, let’s just pretend my post simply said “Hey, I’d like to find peppery Zinfandels. Got any suggestions?”
:slight_smile:

No worries!

I will now stop pestering Kosta Browne and Goldeneye about getting some zin. [berserker.gif]

I just looked back at my CT tasting notes for Zin and most don’t include a pepper note. There are a few though, notably:

'15 Bedrock Esola
'13 Bedrock Pagani
'13 Bedrock Limerick Lane
'13 Carlisle Hayne
'13 Carlisle Pagani

Try Lagier Meredith’s Zin, it’s unique, in most years has a lot of the qualities you describe.

This is a good point. I do remember that being a common characteristic of zin in my earlier years, and I rarely see it anymore. And it’s not just something lost in the high octane zins - I don’t see it in Ridge, Scherrer, Rafanelli, W-S, Bedrock and others in that category either.

Exactly where my head was at. Outpost should definitely scratch that pepper itch.

Dry Creek Winery immediately comes to mind.

[cheers.gif] That’d be my choice as well. This is probably the most peppery Zin out there.

Dang, I am so old, I forgot some.

Again, long time ago, but Martinelli zins had it, as did the Pezzi King of the '90’s.

Perhaps even no longer existing, Dry Creek Road had a line up of peppery zins with Rabbit Ridge, Hop Kiln, Lambert bridge…but pardon me if they are long gone (or if my geolocation is broken.)

I’m going to sound like a broken record because I recommend these wines a lot, but I find the Hobo Branham vineyard zinfandel to display those characteristics. It’s from a particularly cool site in Rockpile and I’ve seen it bottles as low as 13.1% alcohol.

That was something I used to love in Storybook Mountain zinfandels back in the day. Haven’t had one in a while and not sure they even exist anymore.

Broc Vine Star zinfandel is low in alcohol, but I don’t find that it has the pepper note. It is more red fruited than is typical.

Maybe Quivira?

I made a Zin and a Primitivo in 2015, both picked early for a high 13% style. My sister instigated this…an eon ago we both drank a lot of that style zin esp ala Dave Rafanelli. The Zin was picked at ~23.4 brix, and the Primitivo at ~22 brix. Surprisingly, the Primitivo was fully colored up and ready to go at that early point. Both came from the foothills, at Berry Crawford’s suggestion/urging…I agree with him that the foothills worked extremely well for this.

(mods: Does this post cross any lines…if so please delete)

Not a Mod, but I enjoyed reading this information.

Thanks all. Good suggestions and info all around. Wine searcher didn’t yield any results for Outpost near me, but I was able to pick up a few bottles of Carlisle (2013 Dry Creek and RRV Old Vines.) Looking forward to giving them a try!

I also enjoy those peppery finishes that define (for me) a good Zin. One that comes to mind and seems to deliver almost every year is Wilson’s Tori Vineyard (DCV). Cheers!