Dinner/wine w/friends, Piper, Lynch Bages, QC, Dunn

The wife and I had three friends over last night we haven’t seen in a while and was enjoyed by all. We did a cheese platter with other fixin’s on it and enjoyed a

2005 Paul Goerg Brut Millesime Premier Cru to start. This drank lovely and am glad I have three more bottles to drink. (94 pts.)

For dinner we did steak and frites with some awesome ribeyes cooked over hickory wood that was smoked on the meat and gave it a wonderful flavor. I had some fun and brought out a 2009 Lynch Bages, 2012 Roy Piper and a 2012 Quilceda Creek to compare similar price points from some great places. My friends surprised us and brought a 2013 Dunn Howell Mountain and we opened it to enjoy together. we poured all four wines in their own glasses and compared and contrasted the wines over dinner for two hours. Suffice to say these wines are all winners which is no surprise. They each have pleasing qualities in their own right.

The LB was the most subdued and lighter of them but was just beautiful to smell, pencil, cigar box, light red fruits, earth. (96 pts.)

The 2012 Piper was undeniable Napa cab. Lush, rich, ripe, bright red fruits with vanilla and sweet smoke on the nose. lovely hedonistic wine that is easy to drink but not at all sweet or overdone. Very happy I am on Roy’s list!! (97 pts.)

The 2012 QC was the most unique wine of the night. Dark, deep fruits with scorched earth and blackberry fruits and sage and moss. Rich on the palate but a tad shorter finish than the rest of the wines but still a good one. (95 pts.)

Lastly the 2013 Dunn was very wound up but started to show its potential towards the end of the night and had leather, red fruits, and a bit of a tannic finish which is no surprise there but really a good wine that needs time. (94 pts.)

So glad the 2012 showed so well. It is definitely in a lush, elegant zone.

Alan does NOT approve. [help.gif]