Recent wines

Friday dinner with my son I opened a 2005 Pernot Batard Montrachet. As others have mentioned that the 05s have tightened up a bit recently, I thought I would try one from my original release case. Perfect golden color almost lighter than expected with an initial hint of sulfur that blew off. Full-bodied with power and weight, notes of toasted nuts, and in perfect balance. I also opened a recently purchased 1999 Livera Chapelle Chambertin. Dark color as in most 99s, dark fruits just starting its maturity with some secondary aromas of mushrooms and toast. Nicely balanced but faded after a couple hours. Rumor is that it is from a metoyage with Dugat.

Last night was dinner at home with friends. I opened a recently purchased Krug MV which I think is #163. Interesting note of brioche with the underlying toast and oxidative notes. Good but nothing special for me. I had a couple small pours left from a Vilmart Grand Cellier I opened two days earlier and I poured to compare after the Krug. The Vilmart was much fresher with more life although not the depth of the Krug. I do prefer Champagne younger than older for its freshness. A 1988 Vieux Telegraphe was opened an hour or so before the main course. I tasted a sip to make sure it was ok and it was fine with a little barnyard funk. When I finally poured four glasses it still had some of the barnyard but it blew off quickly. A beautiful ruby color with no bricking, this opened with some kirsch, herbs and spices and was a little Burgundian in its finesse, with none of the slap in the face attributes of some of the more recent vintages of CdP. Very nice wine - sorry it was my last bottle

not just a rumor on the métayage but Burghound-confirmed. Not bad for $79, huh?

164 is better than 163, as you will likely see.

I agree that 05 whites look better now than a couple years ago, tighter and not as alcoholic.