GaryVee Wine Club

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
cjsadler

GaryVee Wine Club

#51 Post by cjsadler » February 6th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Billy Norris wrote:Was going to start a new thread on this, but figured I'd just bump the old one. Wanted to say, considering how easily I blow $55/month on other bullshit, this club has delivered consistently since the first shipping. I'm a fan, and the January shipping introduced me to Vidon Vineyard and their 3 clones Chehalem pinot which knocked my socks off on pop 'n pour. I have NOT been disappointed so far. Worth a second look if you're willing to part with $55 in hopes of a receiving a pleasant surprise every now and then.
I'd waited until seeing what the wines were in the first few shipments, but joined up starting with December, as the value thus far looked solid. For the January wines, the Vidon runs about $40 online and the Le Brun de Neuville Blanc de Blancs $50 on sale at WL, so delivered for $55... pretty good. Haven't tried those two yet, but was pleased with last month's wines. Maybe they are still in loss-leader mode to get more people on board-- time will tell. In the meantime, it's fun to get the 'surprise' box each month. Not sure what they'll do about holding shipments as the weather gets warmer.
Chris Sadler

greg gartland

GaryVee Wine Club

#52 Post by greg gartland » February 6th, 2018, 1:21 pm

i also like it. I appreciate some random wines showing up. every month is a pretty rapid clip but at $55 it's presented good value so far.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#53 Post by John Glas » February 6th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Can't ship any wine in the summer unless you like cooked wines. Can't believe there are still places shipping year round.
www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#54 Post by Brandon J. » February 6th, 2018, 8:37 pm

I think the value is unbeatable. For someone who loves trying wine, it's a no-brainer. He really does seem to have a dialed in palate that truly knows his audience.
John sen

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#55 Post by ky1em!ttskus » March 29th, 2018, 11:28 am

I joined the club, received my first shipment this month, and cracked the 13 Ulyses Valdez Sonoma PN. Damnnnnnn. Club costs $55/month shipped. This bottle was worth the month’s cost of entry alone.

Found it local and grabbed 2 more. Absolutely delicious bottle of wine.

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#56 Post by Jason T » March 30th, 2018, 9:38 am

cjsadler wrote:
Billy Norris wrote: Not sure what they'll do about holding shipments as the weather gets warmer.
Any word on whether they will hold shipments?
J@son Tr@ughber

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

GaryVee Wine Club

#57 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 30th, 2018, 10:02 am

Jason T wrote:
cjsadler wrote:
Billy Norris wrote: Not sure what they'll do about holding shipments as the weather gets warmer.
I bet they will for Berserkers! [berserker.gif]

I'm gonna ask now
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

GaryVee Wine Club

#58 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 30th, 2018, 10:34 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Jason T wrote:
I bet they will for Berserkers! [berserker.gif]

I'm gonna ask now
Got it hooked up!!!

Email Brandon at brandon at winelibrary.com and he'll set anybody up who wants the hold on shipments.

Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

GaryVee Wine Club

#59 Post by Robert M yers » March 30th, 2018, 11:53 am

Uh-oh,
the young Todd is starting to realize his power

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

GaryVee Wine Club

#60 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 30th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Robert M yers wrote:Uh-oh,
the young Todd is starting to realize his power
Used only for the good of the Berserkers, however.

Brandon R

GaryVee Wine Club

#61 Post by Brandon R » March 30th, 2018, 12:57 pm

How often are the WL private label wines included in the shipments? If it's frequent, then that's how they deliver the value right there. I bristle when I constantly get bothered while browsing at Total Wine to try their, "private label" stuff. It's almost as if the sales people get rewarded for moving the stuff somehow. I'd imagine the margin on private label stuff is sever times that of non-private labels.
B. Redman

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#62 Post by Peter Shurman » March 30th, 2018, 5:04 pm

with regards to the private label, so far, just once ... [cheers.gif]
keeping those ITB in business

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#63 Post by Brandon J. » March 30th, 2018, 9:45 pm

This wine membership has yet to disappoint. Gary's only included one cab that was funded via wine library and it was more of an add-on wine in that specific shipment. This does NOT appear to be any sort of bait and switch in any way shape or form.
John sen

Ian H

GaryVee Wine Club

#64 Post by Ian H » March 31st, 2018, 5:51 am

Interesting. I shop at Wine Library quite frequently. Not sure I'm the wine club type but the store is legit. Really good on France and Italy.
@@S

Julius L
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#65 Post by Julius L » March 31st, 2018, 2:11 pm

I usually consider wines that Gary recommends as ones that I wouldn't buy.
L = L@$Øff

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#66 Post by Rich Brown » March 31st, 2018, 5:38 pm

Julius L wrote:I usually consider wines that Gary recommends as ones that I wouldn't buy.
Ok I'll bite. So why is that? Kinda pointless comment without any context (and honestly comes across as being a pretty pretentious one)

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#67 Post by ky1em!ttskus » March 31st, 2018, 8:15 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
Julius L wrote:I usually consider wines that Gary recommends as ones that I wouldn't buy.
Ok I'll bite. So why is that? Kinda pointless comment without any context (and honestly comes across as being a pretty pretentious one)
JaD.

Julius L
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#68 Post by Julius L » March 31st, 2018, 9:52 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
Sorry for my abruptness. Over the years that I spent at the WL, I very often (but to be fair not always) disagreed with his wine reviews. And I got the sense that his recommendations were partially motivated by the inventory.
L = L@$Øff

Julius L
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#69 Post by Julius L » March 31st, 2018, 9:54 pm

ky1em!ttskus wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:
JaD.
You got it wrong. It's JaGD.
L = L@$Øff

GregT

GaryVee Wine Club

#70 Post by GregT » March 31st, 2018, 10:58 pm

We did some business with him and he moved inventory. He didn't have to flog the wines he had a lot of - he could move wines he said were shitty. He called one of ours a bad wine and moved several pallets of it because his followers wanted to know what a bad wine was. The one thing I can say about him is that he's not a typical BS artist trying to move whatever he happens to have.

He's pretty genuine.

I would never join a club like his or anyone else's because I don't need someone to "teach" me about wine, or to expose me to wine I wouldn't have tried because I only know Pinot Noir, Cab, and Chardonnay from California and I get my wine from mailing lists.

But Gary's tasted a lot of wine over the years and he has a decent palate and for people who don't know all that much about wine, I'd recommend him over some folks with agendas and axes to grind, like some of the lauded critics for various publications and wanna-be taste influencers. The guy just likes wine.

No business relationship at all here - just my 2 cents.
G . T a t a r

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#71 Post by Peter Shurman » April 3rd, 2018, 2:26 pm

Julius L wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:
You got it wrong. It's JaGD.
are you still using your old WL credentials to get into trade tastings?

neener

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

GaryVee Wine Club

#72 Post by Peter Shurman » April 3rd, 2018, 2:27 pm

GregT wrote:We did some business with him and he moved inventory. He didn't have to flog the wines he had a lot of - he could move wines he said were shitty. He called one of ours a bad wine and moved several pallets of it because his followers wanted to know what a bad wine was. The one thing I can say about him is that he's not a typical BS artist trying to move whatever he happens to have.

He's pretty genuine.

I would never join a club like his or anyone else's because I don't need someone to "teach" me about wine, or to expose me to wine I wouldn't have tried because I only know Pinot Noir, Cab, and Chardonnay from California and I get my wine from mailing lists.

But Gary's tasted a lot of wine over the years and he has a decent palate and for people who don't know all that much about wine, I'd recommend him over some folks with agendas and axes to grind, like some of the lauded critics for various publications and wanna-be taste influencers. The guy just likes wine.

No business relationship at all here - just my 2 cents.
well said. he's 100% genuine.

Jessyca Frederick

Re: GaryVee Wine Club

#73 Post by Jessyca Frederick » December 4th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Kirk.Grant wrote:
September 15th, 2017, 5:30 pm
I think the next wave of wine "clubs" needs to be something different if it's going to be attractive to folks here.
What would be the perfect wine club for this crowd? I'm asking because I wonder if that's even possible... What would attract this audience to a wine club, subscription, or membership model?
Because wine doesn't have to be expensive to be good.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: GaryVee Wine Club

#74 Post by Kirk.Grant » December 4th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Jessyca Frederick wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 5:40 pm
Kirk.Grant wrote:
September 15th, 2017, 5:30 pm
I think the next wave of wine "clubs" needs to be something different if it's going to be attractive to folks here.
What would be the perfect wine club for this crowd? I'm asking because I wonder if that's even possible... What would attract this audience to a wine club, subscription, or membership model?
If I'm going to be attracted to a wine club it needs to be transparent, I need to trust the palate of the person making the selections, and it needs to have wines that I can't get access to.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Return to “Wine Talk”