Anybody Familiar w/ These Wineries?

I am always on the lookout for specific types of wines and, as a result, I have stumbled upon the following wineries. I can’t find much information online about them. Please let me know if you have tasted any of their stuff, and share your impressions:

Folded Hills: Santa Ynez Grenache, Syrah, Grenache and Syrah, winemaker is Ms Angela Osborne of A Tribute to Grace

Suelo Farmers: The duo is formerly from Rhys; Chenin Blanc and Pinot Noir

Seam Wines: I am primarily intrigued by the Mourvedre, but this winery is the hardest to find any information about elsewhere

Day Wines: Oregon stuff - the “Vin de Days” red and white wines sound fun!

http://www.daywines.com

Pain and Glory: I have been trying to determine when the wines from Chris Scanlan will be available to the public. The various wines look really good!

Barrel & Ink: Artists collaborate with well-known winemakers

The Keep Wines: Make an Evangelho Vineyard Carignan, as well as some interesting whites

Windy Oak Estates: Particularly interested in the non-Pinot Noir wines, all seem to be Santa Cruz and the nearby areas

http://www.windyoaksestate.com/wines.php
O

Haarmeyer Cellars: The home of St Rey wines and Vermouth

Rootdown Cellars: Operated by a former employee of Copain; unusual varieties that sound yummy

Saint K: St K is the project from Chris Kiranbay, formerly employee of Herman Story; makes Mourvedre and a skin-contact Grenache Blanc

http://www.burkewine.com/saint-k/

I understand that some of these producers might only be available on the West Coast, in restaurants, etc. Nevertheless, I am grateful for any information that can be shared. :slight_smile:

I’m very familiar with Windy Oaks. Been buying them for many years. Highly recommend.

Windy Oaks has been around a while and is a BerserkerDay participant. I like the winemaking, which leans AFWE (painting with broad brush) and is using less oak than in the mid 00s.

Windy Oaks - been one of the most consistent SCM Pinot producers over the years but I’m not sure I’ve ever tasted one of their non-estate wines.

Pain and Glory - will Chris ever release his wines?

Rootdown - tasted their wines for the first time a couple of months ago and particularly liked the Trousseau Rosé and the Mourvèdre.

Heard of 2 or 3 of the others but have not tasted their wines.

• Day Wines: Oregon stuff - the “Vin de Days” red and white wines sound fun!

http://www.daywines.com

Brianne Day makes some nice wines from Willamette Valley and So Oregon fruit. WV wines are appealing and I buy, haven’t tried the southern wines yet.

Corey, is your avatar a dragon or an alligator? And committing suicide with the canon? Not sure I get it.

It’s something to do with English football club Arsenal.

Craig Haarmeyer is a cool guy, doing good stuff with NorCal grapes. He’s a big fan of Chenin, and makes a pet-nat from it. He was formerly at Revolution Wines in Sacramento.

Yep, I learned about haarmeyer here and really dig his chenins. Definitely want to try the pet-nat at some point

Keep makes some great daily drinkers for me. Their white blends are great warm weather wines. High acid a hint of spritz.

Nice. Those looked super interesting to me. Good price point too.

Appreciate the list Drew!

Windy Oaks - one of only a couple wine clubs I’m still in, for nearly ten years now.

I’ve been buying the sauvignon blancs and the rose every summer for the past few years. The 2014 rose was terrific. We went through a case and a half of it from May-September last year.

I’ve not tried the other non-estate wines.

Markus, that’s Gunnersaurus, the mascot of Arsenal F.C. He’s using the canon – the team’s symbol – to kill himself after a terrible summer transfer window.

Suffice it to say, that I identify with Gunnersaurus.

Other than Windy Oaks… nada. I must be losing my edge.

Pardon the drift, but just wanted to support Corey and say you’re not alone.

There’s strength in numbers.

Also, you should check this out…

Gunnersaurus looks like a distant genetic cousin to the Phanatic (depicted below attacking a Dodger)

As a religion major in college, I’m enjoying the mental images conjured up by “suicide by canon.”

Mike Lucia owner and winemaker at Rootdown is crafting some excellent wines. All the rose (3 of them) are very good and the Mourvèdre I recently tasted was excellent.

Best part of the tasting we had with Mike was each rose ( Trousseau, Mourvèdre, Sangiovese) had a corresponding red counterpart. Tasting each side by side was an education in itself.

Rootdown is a newer winery well worth seeking out and Mike is a great guy.

Tom

FYI for Windy Oaks fans, a whole bunch of 2005-2010 was listed on K&L a couple days back (and still there).