Pommard

Anyone drink this stuff?

But of course. Love me some Courcel and Comte Armand. Also love Launay Horiot (was Raymond Launay) and Billard Gonet as sleeper picks

yes, but only w age does it gain some finesse. Corton and Pommard are the two areas that for me need the most time to strut.

Love it. Rugiens is a personal favorite vineyard regardless of village. I often find Pommard more elegant than its brutish reputation–just like I often find Volnay more masculine than its reputation.

2004 Domaine de Courcel Pommard 1er Cru Grand Clos des Épenots was very nice about a year ago. (although I agree with Alan, it’s not the most subtle Burgundy).

Not quite the same thing but Patricia Green Cellars Freedom Hill Vineyard Pommard Clone is really killer. See my CT TNs (for the Courcel as well).

I agree with Caughey that there is a greater diversity within the climats of Pommard than the foursquare rustic stereotype of the village, running everything delicate/aerien to broad shouldered/tannic. In this sense, I feel that it is one of the least understood villages on the Côte d’Or.
Similarly to the Beaune 1er crus, another village with an oversimplified stereotype for “rustic” wines, the “rusticity” (code for either/or tannic/mediocre winemaking) is far less of an element in warm vintages. I attribute this to the preponderance of clay dominant vineyards in both villages, a “cold” soil type.
The solar 2015 vintage, for example, has a particularly awesome range of Beaune and Pommard wines that would quickly and easily express just how much the stereotypes need to go in the mental trashcan.
As to Courcel, the wines can be tremendous, I love them. But the 100% whole cluster can be so dominant (especially in youth as noted) that I would hesitate to recommend them to exploring newbies because it is such a particular house style.
My 1.667 euro cents (adjusted for currency conversion).

Great producers of Pommard whom I represent:
-Anne Parent
-Nico Rossignol
-Thomas Bouley
-Pousse d’Or
-Latour Giraud (particularly in '15)
-Michel Lafarge (finally a Pezerolles again in '15 after a few years without)
-Lucien LeMoine

Other great Pommard producers not mentioned yet whom I don’t represent:
-Thierry Glantenay- his Saussilles and Rugiens.
-Some people like the different Gaunoux houses, me not so much.

Shut up! [cheers.gif] champagne.gif

Killer Volnays too. Love the Bourgogne Rouge.

How does a Pommard thread go for so long without a mention of Comte Armand?

Beyond the big names (Montille, Armand, Courcel), Billard-Gonnet and Violot-Guillemard produce stunning Pommards at very reasonable prices for their levels.

I also adore Jadot’s Rugiens.

Adrian, post number two mentions Comte Armand.

Joseph Voillot Domaine Joseph Voillot, Côte de Beaune

Lucien (Pierre) Boillot Domaine Lucien Boillot et Fils | Our Wines | Kermit Lynch Wine Merchant

Pierre’s brother, Louis Boillot (married to Ghislaine Barthod), makes really good Pommard, as well.

Whoops. Mea culpa

Thanks, Rob this is very interesting. Not only for the content, but also because it reminds me that the more I learn about Burgundy, the more I realize how little I know.

I agree. Depending upon the producer and site the outcomes vary as to expression.
My wine group will be doing a Pommard vs Volnay blinded wine tasting on Wednesday. Lets see

Montille Rugiens for me … they actually split up bottling into two separate parcels … Bas and Hauts. Old-school sturdy elegance. Like Leoville Las Cases in Bordeaux.

Traditionally it is a village that demands long aging, but as everything in Burgundy is never black and white this is not always the case. There are some delicious '15’s from Pommard and recent bottles from Cyrot-Buthiau and Dugat-Py’s La Levrière have been beautiful drinks. You can usually drink wines from Thierry Violot-Guillemard and Glantenay young and derive plenty of pleasure. Claude Maréchal makes a Pommard La Chanière that tends to drink well young, old and in between.

The most recent Pommard:

2005 DOMAINE MARQUIS d`ANGERVILLE COMBES-DESSUS POMMARD 1ER CRU- it was sooo good; the hallmark was its elegance and ever evolving nuances; in the nose, it had brilliant fresh tasty red cherry with underlying spice and cinnamon with all continuing on to the back end; it was in perfect balance, had a silky smooth texture and that state of elegance that stood out from the nose through the tail; a strong candidate for WOTN. I love Burgundy. And, I love Pommard.

I give that apology 93 points

Well played.