Need help identifying a wine's value

Hi everyone. I realize this is my first post but when my Google Fu failed me I figured I should seek the help of experts.

A few years ago I acquired a Double Magnum of Nebbiolo D’Alba in a wooden display box. I’m not a wine connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination. My tastes tend to gravitate towards the Moscatos as being traumatized as a child at my First Communion by having to take a big gulp of “Catholic Red” pretty much ensured I will have a distaste for anything bolder than essentially a wine cooler or Cool-Aid with vodka.

So, with that being said: does anyone know what a Double Magnum of 2004 Nebbiolo D’Alba Might be worth? I have stored it in the wood presentation box in my basement here in Michigan. I have one standing offer from a buddy for $100 so I threw it up on Craigslist for $400 figuring what-the-heck? Since my luck tends to favor the “hit by a bus” side of life over the “win the lottery side” I’m not expecting to have a Pawn Stars “I have to call an expert” moment…but at the very least would appreciate some guideance as to if my buddy has given me a fair offer or am I essentially giving away a Golden Ticket.

Anyway, thanks (in advance) for humoring me.

Kevin Waldi

So now I got to worry about a this giant crustacean from the Paleolithic Era coming up in here offering me Tree Fitty…great!

Without knowing vintage or producer $100 is probably a fair price, maybe slightly low. One can find a bottle of Nebbiolo D’Alba for $25 without much problem. I would probably want a small premium for the double mag and box. But if I just didn’t want to regret it later $100 is fine.

Bingo. $100 is far more than fair. I’d take the money and run. Even if this was Voerzio or Giacosa, it’s better to give a friend a good deal.

Nebiolo is the grape. Alba is the area of Italy it is from. There should also be a producer listed. These are generally the lowest level of wine from a producer (as opposed to Barolo). That said, it may be quite good (or not). As Ian mentioned Giacosa or one or two other producers make a top version that may bring in a few more dollars. I doubt you could get $200. Also, vintage does matter as well.

If your friend will give you $100 take. If not, throw a party. Mostly likely it should be opened within the next few years. Let us know the producer and vintage and maybe we can pin it down a bit more. Hope that helps.

Thank you all very much! The vineyard is Salvano. I’ll give my buddy first dibs. When I got it my plan was to do something with the wooden box!

Sell it to him for $90 and keep the box!

Yes…I’d keep the box as a keep-sake and sell the wine for $90. It’s a deal for you and your friend…

Sell the wine with the box for the love…

I jumped in the boat and said Thomas, what on earth is that creature???

You my newbie friend made an awesome post and reference!!!

Is there a sale on Loch Ness munchies or something?

2014 vintage of Salvano Nebbiolo d’Alva runs about $12 to $15 on wine-searcher. I am guessing that age isn’t going to improve the wine much. I would either sell it to your friend for $50 or open it with your friend and some others and enjoy what is left of the wine. Your friend’s offer is way too generous.

Sorry.

Sell it to him for a $1 with the condition that he has to drink it all in one sitting.

What vintage is this? Nebbiolo ages well but the basic Nebbiolo d’Alba from a less than top producer isn’t going to be made for long aging. Large format will slow that process somewhat but only somewhat. In other words, whether selling or drinking, you should probably do so sooner rather than later.

Also, since you’re on a wine board and no one has said it, you probably shouldn’t let a gulp of bad wine in grade school put you off wine forever. If you prefer things like Moscato, maybe branch out a bit. Explore German Rieslings with some residual sugar, maybe Lambrusco, see if something changes your mind about that early experience. I recall hating peas as a kid because I was served canned peas. Now I quite like peas, just not canned peas. An adult’s palate needn’t be shaped by a bad experience in youth.