TNR: 1967 Chateau Pichon Lalande

Any thoughts or comments on this wine, or even the vintage itself, how top Chateau are holding up?

I have access to some well-stored bottles at a very reasonable, IMHO, price.

I had a pristine bottle a few years ago and absolutely loved it, held it’s own next to a number of 80s & 90s vintages. Judging from CT, I’m not the only one who feels that way.

Never liked the vintage (quite lean and acidic, although not the worst from that decade), and I believe most have since long been in serious decline, and/or are now as dead as a skunk.

The many positive many notes (even with outstanding ratings!) on CT don’t reflect my impressions at all. And I once had a girlfriend from that year, so I did try the occasional bottle even well into the nineties.

In the eighties I drank several of the wines at the top the hierarchy, and although Latour was a decent drink, Lafite and Mouton certainly weren’t. Cheval Blanc was quaffable, but by far the best was Petrus. Unfortunate only because of its stiff price even then.

Whether you’ll enjoy Pichon Lalande today depends on your predilections, which I haven’t followed you for long enough to know.

Please post a note if you take the chance. Good luck!

Peter

I didn’t partake in the both Ted had of the 67 PLL, but I’ve heard the comments from some of the others that also had that bottle, and they loved it too. If the price and provenance are keen, buy some for me and I’ll pick it up next time I’m in Florida and/or we’ll crack one with Bobby Goulet (I’ve got relatives in Naples).

Not had the PLL but had a bottle of 67 Palmer at the beginning of the summer. My note:

High shoulder fill and bottle in great condition, this turned out as well as I could have hoped. Lovely expressive nose, smelling of old mulch with hints of vegemite and dried flowers. The palate wasn’t quite as expressive but had plenty of subtle pleasures and held itself together pretty well over a couple of hours. Not decanting it was probably the right move. Drink now.

I’ve had reasonably decent returns on my 67s but my expectations have been calibrated accordingly as I suspect yours will be. I have one more Palmer plus a bottle of Latour both of which I should really dispatch by the end of the year.

Would be interested in hearing how it turns out if you pull the trigger.

Cheers
Peter

Looks like the most recent 1967 I’ve had is Beychevelle. Loved it, just a wonderful aged claret. I’d definitely bite on the PLL if the condition looked good and the price was right.

I used to buy a lot of the 67s awhile back when Butterfields and Butterfields in SF and Davis in Chicago were the only two main auction houses. Also the Chicago wine company but not sure if I can call it a real auction. The FGs were between $20-30, Petrus may be $50.

If well stored, I think you will like the wine a lot. My educated guess is that it will be subtle and harmonious, perhaps starts with a hint of stem,pepper and mint, gentle dry sweet red fruit. very airy and light, good harmonious acidity and a medium finish. Certain not for the Brother Jeff but Loire red lover in you will appreciate it.

BTW, considering how bad the 63, 65, 68 and 69 are, the 67 is not too bad, the 61 obviously being the best, then the 62, 64 and 66.

I would be interested in a bottle if their is an extra one. I was born in '67 and this would be fun to open on my 50th in a few months. Please PM me if an extra one becomes available.

JH

LOL. Who stole my Pichons? They be all gone.

:wink: