Paul Lato Anyone?

Does anyone still purchase?

One of my favorites. Do you think he has fallen out of favor with the crowd? Didn’t understand your reference.

Yes, I purchased quite a bit today.

Jim I few people talk about his wine. Very few.

Torn on my allocation for SV K-B, Sojourn and now Lato. Can really only buy one (retired now and wine cellar full).

I bought some 2011s and 2012s a few years back, but none since. I went back and checked my tasting notes, and these were “good, but not great” for my taste.

What are the current prices on his wines? I know that he’s branched out from Santa Barbara County and purchased fruit up north from time to time and just haven’t kept up to date. Cheers!

75-90 this offering, I passed.

Hiya Larry!

Picked up a case of the Padrino and Cinematique Syrahs.

Love his Pinots and Syrahs

I love his wines as well - but if I am going to spend $90 on a Pinot Noir, I am going to purchase Burgundy - way too much great Domestic Pinot Noir in the $40-$50 range -

Andrew, a major palate change occurred for me about 10 years ago and my preference ever since has been to go for wines that are more elegant, have finesse and are easy on the palate. Before that, I loved Pauls wines [as I did Sea Smoke et al] and still know they have a place in the market for big, fruity good wines, but now Im a wimp and just taking a sip when they come around.

Last time I was in Santa Barbara Wine Country, Lato were 2 of my 4 favorite wines of the trip. love the extraction of his wines and their mouthfeel.

I don’t buy the wines, but have greatly enjoyed the bottles I tried. There was a unique desert-grass note to them that I’ve never experienced before or since. I like wines that go beyond their fruit, and I think Lato wines do.

Just re-read your post. Congrats on being retired.

BTW, Paul is a good guy and I like him a lot. He tutored under Jim Clendenen and learned his craft well. He gets the most fruit out of his wines and they are quite tasty, just too big for my lightweight palate.

I prefer his Chardonnays over his reds. I’ve gotten away from bigger pinots and prefer something like Whitcraft, The Hilt, or Sandhi when it comes from that area. I’m not liking the creep in pricing either. Too many great wines at around $50 to justify buying Lato anymore.