Do You Buy Bordeaux?

Do You Buy Bordeaux?

• 1. I continue to enthusiasticly purchase Bordeaux.
  • 2. I have never purchased Bordeaux with any regularity.
  • 3. I used to regularly buy Bordeaux but stopped.
  • 4. I used to regularly buy Bordeaux but now only do so occasionly.

0 voters

Curious as to how Bordeaux is trending here these days.

I’ve scaled back Bordeaux purchases do to price and the amount I already have in the cellar.

Heavy buyer through 2014 vintage. That was my last futures vintage. At 51 years of age, I decided to pass on 2015 and 2016, with one exception. I remain comfortable with the pricing relative to quality, the 2014 vintage was especially well-priced. I actually checked in on a 375 of Figeac last night to see whether I go grab some 750s.

From this point forward, I will try to backfill selectively. I’ve probably bought 2 cases of backfill and 2 cases of new releases this year.

Bordeaux remains one of my top wines to drink, especially when fully mature. They are tough to match at that point.

Since the question was not limited to young Bordeaux (virtually zero purchases but may buy a couple 2014s for the cellar when the inevitable fire sale happens with the release of 2015-16), I answered yes because, beyond certain highly priced older Bordeaux wines, old Bordeaux in small or large quantities remains a relative bargain at auction and retail compared to the U.S.-gone mad in terms of average retail bottle price across many regions. And for wines I might actually want to drink now, the sweet spot being wines from the late 60s through the 80s.

I bought heavy through the 2005 vintage and very few in 2008 and 2009. I have so much in my cellar that I have moved on to other wines and my age is getting up there.

We still buy, but not regularly. For example, we bought very little from the 2011 and 2013 vintages, but found some good values from the 2012 and 2014 vintages. I think 2014 Grand Puy Lacoste and Beau-Sejour Becot for around $50 is an excellent value, as well as 2012 Haut Bergey for less than $25. We have very little room in our cellar and are still on the college tuition train, so we are being very selective with what we are buying today. Not just Bordeaux, but all wine.

Thanks,
Ed

At my age, I’d rather backfill.

1 Like

Your age and my age are pretty close together, time to start drinking up.

The 09/10 rip-off wont be forgotten, so thank you very much! Showed the world that they are more about profits and spreadsheets than pure agriculture.

There are too many good wines from different parts of the world (and at really good value) to get tied down to one place.

I stopped with 2015 EP, but even for '15, bought very little, maybe 4 cases and all in 375ml. The last big EP was for '10 vintage.

Difficult to choose a suitable answer.

I bought some, though it was never a keen focus. These ranged from keeping a handful of bottles of Pomerol regularly replaced for the brains of the operation, exploring outside the classed growths, plus going back a bit longer, some great auction mixed lots with age / proper age on them, for prices which won’t be repeated.

The sharply increased prices mean I buy much less than I used to. Just checking, nothing in 2017, nor 2016. 9 bottles bought in 2015. Overall, since I’ve been using CT (and accepting not everything was logged), 111 bottles bought, 8 remain.

I still like the wines, just not the prices.

I think this is slightly flawed poll, mainly because the people here really do not represent the buying public. I think we have an inordinate number of old codgers here, who used to buy heavily, but because of either age or the recent price increases compared to what they used to pay, have reduced purchases. Meanwhile according to the auction houses I am talking to, there is a large number of neophytes entering the market, and a good proportion of them gravitate, at least initially, to Bordeaux.

Missed a group. I buy it irregularly never having been enthusiastic.

That’s me.

Congratulations, I was waiting for this as it occurs with every poll. Note in the OP: “trending here”. It’s an imprecise world. Interesting though your insights regarding demographics both here and with auctions. Are those “neophytes” self-identifying?

That would be option 2: I have never bought Bordeaux with any regularity.(Enthusiasticly or not.)

Or not-so-old codgers.

Most people I drink with, who I understand are some of (or close to some of) the same people you drink with, continue to buy Bordeaux regularly (though not on release).

But in any case I agree WB is not a snapshot of the market. Not even close.

Amen brother.

For the first few years I was into wine, I was all about Bordeaux. Haven’t bought more than a case in total since the 96s were released

I haven’t bought much since 2005- Many reasons including personal and professional, plus sky-rocketing prices at the time. I need to get back in and find some good values from the recent vintages to ensure I have a pipeline of mature wines for the future.