PSA for NorCal - Whole Foods 30% off all wine

Today only; everything in stock except for those bottles ending in .98 (mainly some of the champagnes/bubbles)

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if the SoCal stores will be included as well. Guess I’ll make a pass by later today to check it out.

At least at the downtown L.A. store the answer is “No.”

Usually the sales are regional.

Not here in AZ.

They thought it was only Nor Cal running the sale today. They were unsure when/where the next one would happen

Not here in Santa Fe as I was just in there but could get an Echo at sale prices.

and just confirmed at my local SoCal store - no sale.

Sale on today in San Francisco, however their prices are so high I do just as well at K&L; the selection is 100 times better as well.

Yeah, we’re pretty spoiled up here. It’s rare that the grocery stores ever have great deals on good wines since we can basically get anything we want from multiple sources already. Besides, standing in line at Whole Foods with all the “healthy” people makes me queasy.

It’s probably would not be legal in CT.

To be slightly cynical, but also probably fairly accurate, this “sale” probably brings the total markup to the industry average. Whole Foods markup has always been very high

Largely true. I was in my local WF yesterday to shop anyway, and tried to put together a 6-er for the sale, but a) there weren’t enough bottles I had any interest in, and b) with 30% off, the prices came down to low wine-searcher. So if I had found what I wanted (they had a single bottle of 2014 Thivin, but not more), I would have pulled the trigger.

Earlier this year, the Whole Foods in downtown LA had a 40% off all wines if purchase 12+ (mix and match allowed). I was able to get a mixed case of 2013 Quintessa (orig retail $140), 2014 Chappellet “Signature” Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ($55), and 2014 Shafer One Point Five ($85) for 40% the original in-store price. I believe they said that they look to do these sales once a year or so in the DTLA location but no certainty on timing and frequency.

Markup is normally high and the local WF doesn’t have a great selection.

So I picked up some curiosities I wouldn’t have otherwise - an inexpensive Zweigelt, a Chinon, Morgon, Pleiades, a local Chardonnay that says 13.1 and no oak, and a Syrah I never heard of that looked interesting. None were costly in the first place but they’ll be fine for midweek suppers.

You had to pick and choose your spots and the selection varies dramatically from store to store (need to get up to the Napa store when they have one of these), but there were some pretty decent deals around. Especially Redwood City that had at least 6 Ridge bottlings.

2015 Ridge Geyserville $30 ($38 @ K&L)
2014 Shafer One Point Five $67 which is much lower than anything else out there (K&L $90)
2013 Shafer Red Shoulder Chard $37 ($50 K&L)
2016 Terrebrune Bandol Rose $25
2013 VT La Crau $50