Brief WA State TNs: Rotie, Kerloo, Waters, Latta, Structure

My firm hosted an open house last night. We invited in a local artist to adorn our walls with her beautiful and striking works (Tami Figliola…check her stuff out), and did our best to use local foods. Additionally, I decided to pick one wine from several of the South Seasttle (SoDo) tasting rooms for the evening. Most (if not all?) of these wineries have tasting rooms in Walla Walla (or bunkers, in the case of Latta Wines!), but they’ve opened Urban tasting rooms in with SoDo (South Downtown) area of Seattle. They’re also right next to Full Pull Wines’ tasting room. I regret that I didn’t have a Block Wines, FP&F, or Puget Purveyors to pour, but that’ll be next time. These are impressions, as I was mostly playing host:

2016 Kerloo Cellars Grenache Blanc Walla Walla Valley
100% Blue Mountain Vineyards (12.9% abv) This was my choice for one of the two whites partially because there weren’t too many white choices amongst the wineries there. Very dry, with some funk on the nose. Good citrus notes, slate-like. The funk on the nose was just this side of good…much more would’ve been off-putting. I have very little GB experience, so I’m not sure if that’s normal.

2016 Rotie Cellars Southern White Walla Walla Valley
50% Viognier, 35% Roussanne, 15% Marsanne (12.5% abv) I don’t know if you could stuff more fruit into a white than this. Just delicious stone fruit (peach, nectarine) flavors that are ripe, but not overly so. The palate presence is almost off-dry, but I’m pretty sure that’s only due to the ripe fruit flavors (I didn’t ask about RS). Crowd-pleasing for sure, and my favorite of the two whites.

2013 Latta Wines GSM Columbia Valley
58% Grenache, 23% Syrah, 19% Mourvedre (14.1% abv) Round and supple, with deep fruit and nice spine. My favorite of the group, just edging out the Waters. Good for nearer-term drinking. $35 IIRC.

2015 Structure Cellars “Craftsman” Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley
(14.7% abv) The tasting room wasn’t pouring when I was shopping, so I chatted with Brian and chose this wine without tasting it. I wanted to watch the budget, so the $25 tag fit the bill. They have a $35 “Foundations” line as well. Glad I bought this: this was very varietally-correct Cab, and had great black fruit and nice acidity. A touch more oak that ideal, but I’m pretty sure that’s due to the fact that it’s only a 2015. I’m excited to go back and taste through the lineup.

2013 Waters Winery “Interlude” WA State
51% Merlot, 39% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Cabernet Franc, 3% Malbec
(14.5% abv) Dark ruby. This was really good for the tariff (again, budget) at $28. The bottle age shows, with lovely harmony and balance to this wine. I’m a HUGE fan of Waters’ Syrahs (Forgotten Hills, Loess Vyd.), but this Bordeaux-inspired blend was fantastic, irrespective of the price. Dark berries, slight leather, subtle herb.

If you’ve not been, head to SoDo and hit some of these tasting rooms. The folks are universally wonderful and the wines are great too. And, better yet, they’re all surrounding the same parking lot, so park once and enjoy.

Thanks for the notes, Brandon!

I am unfamiliar with Latta, but I appreciate that their website explains the vineyard sites very clearly.

Brandon, great notes, thanks for posting! Did you make Kerloo last night? As always, its one of the best release parties in SODO - great food and the wines weren’t to shabby either - The Cab was pretty impressive. Plus the pours are down right generous and one always leaves with a sparkle in their step.

Jeez, I feel like I know WA Rhones at least somewhat, but had never heard of Latta until a couple of weeks ago when I overheard a guy in a wineshop in Napa of all places say he thought they made one of the best of all Grenaches in America. Who are these cats?

Latta is a strong two for three with me so far. I absolutely love their Roussanne and bought a case after getting trying a bottle found at retail. I also thought their Grenache was excellent. The Malbec I had, not so much…but I almost never like Malbec, so it may just be me.

Scott, they’re pretty new. I first heard about Latta on a trip to Walla Walla two years ago and a winemaker told my wife and I we should head out to their “bunker” near the WW airport and check them out. I’m glad we did. They do a lot with fruit from Upland Vineyard in the Snipes Mountain AVA. Apparently there are still some Muscat vines still planted there from the 1917 original plantings. With Latta, I find that their wines are both supple, but quite energetic. Best Grenache in the country? I like it a lot, but that seems like a reach.

Latta is made by Andrew Latta the former winemaker for Charles Smith, one of the winemakers that led K Vintners’ transition to lighter more aromatic wines in the past decade (I think he made the wines at K from 2006-2014?) and his wines under his own label largely source from similar sites and share a similar style to late-model K wines. They’re great, and he’s a nice dude. I love K’s The Boy and the Latta grenache is similar.

Structure is really great for the money, their wines are incredibly varietally-correct in my experience which is not something you always find in WA <$30. Brian and Brandee are a lot of fun and have always been willing to talk shop whenever we stop in.

Maybe it was best Grenache out of Washington, I suppose that was more likely the quote in retrospect. Still. I’m willing to bet the guy in Napa hadn’t tasted Maison Bleue.

Have had a very mixed experience with Maison Bleue over the past few years. Have they gone through a transition of sorts?

Best Grenache out of Washington?? Hmmm. Highly recommend Sean’s little g from Rotie Cellars - my favorite. Kerloo is right up there as well. No Girls Grenache is probably their best wine IMO. I also prefer 2010 HP Grenache to their 2010 Syrah.

Who wants to join me for a tasting of WA State Grenache? I’ll put up Latta, Rotie, Cayuse GOK, No Girls, Maison Bleue, Rasa Grenache Primus Inter Pares Monette’s Vineyard…this could be fun.

I’d be game, although due to work/travel will be unavailable until early November.

Could offer up 2010 aMaurice Boushey, some 2010 Madison Bleues (La Montagnette and Le Midi), and a few different 2010 and 2011 Gramercys and Kerloo.

Schedule permitting I’m up for this as well. I’ve got GOK from 09-current, No Girls and I’m sure another surprise or two I’ve forgotten about.

I’m always up for a tasting if it is at a time I’m free. I know I have a number of vintages of No Girls, and I ordered a Latta through the controversial Garagiste. Maybe I should have asked for more. I’m not usually a big fan of Grenache.

P Hickner

Didn’t Maison Bleue switch entirely their vineyard sources in 2012 or 2013?

Does this event happen in Seattle? I’d throw in a 2012 MB Grenache, but I work evenings so will most likely be unable to attend.

Dudes,

I’d be up for attending. I could bring a 2013 Two Vintners Grenache which is my second favorite grenache outside of the No Girls. Here’s my note from a little over a year ago…

2013 Two Vintners Boushey Vineyard Grenache
Decanted for an hour. Absolutely blown away by this wine and stunned how much it performs above its price tag. If the gorgeous light ruby color isn’t enticing enough, the aromas of freshly picked flowers, rainier cherries, and minerals do the trick. At this point, it’s reminding me of a 2006 Rayas I had a few years ago. The color of the wine, the floral aromas, the cherries, the expression of femininity. I’m seduced. Lighter-bodied on the palate with pure red raspberries, underbrush, hints of licorice, and those cherries. Enough acidity to heighten the flavors of the fruit as well as providing a delicate backbone. The finish lasts longer than any $30 wine should and gives a counterbalance of tannin to match the ripe fruit. This wine is expressive as hell, which is surprising considering the lack of heaviness in all aspects. Terrifically brilliant wine that begs to be drunk out of burgundy glasses. Earlier, I mentioned that it reminded me of Rayas. Definitely not as complex or regal but certainly skirts around the edges and for $30 I’m going to look up said skirt every time. This wine is a game changer for what I can now expect and/or demand from a new world grenache. Can’t recommend this wine enough. 95pts.

We would be interested and could bring a La Rata

I’d be interested as well, but could only put up a few ringer '05 CdPs.

Sounds like fun. I’ve got some Rotie.

Let me know if this Grenache tasting is happening, I’ll send someone a couple bottles of our '13 Grenache. Our wines are made by Ryan at Kerloo, and as far as I know, we are the only winery in Washington that only does 100% Grenache wines.

Awesome, John. How about you just come up and join us instead?