TN: 2007 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Clos Jebsal Sélection de Grains Nobles

• 2007 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Clos Jebsal Sélection de Grains Nobles - France, Alsace (9/4/2017)
    From a 375, pop and pour after all sorts of other things. This is an exceptional wine. Not quite at the level of the 1998, which was one of the greatest dessert wine I have ever had, but still in the stratosphere. Bracing acidity is a perfect balance for the honey-like sweetness. Extremely complex palate with a mixture of apricot and pineapple and botrytis flavors mixed in with the acidity. I know some people claim that botrytis itself has no flavor, but you know what I mean.

Extremely long finish. Caresses the mouth without being sugary sweet. Still very young without showing signs of age. No caramel and no nuttiness. Will probably last 25 years or more. Love this wine. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Have you had one of the Trie Speciale versions of that? Quite a unique experience.

No. Never even seen it for sale
Closest I have is an Albert Mann Le Trie. Would love to try it if I could find it

Botrytis doesn’t have flavor?

So the honey/candied-ginger aromas I get are all in my head? When tasting blind, I typically get some some of spiced aspect with wines that have botrytis. That could be coincidental but that’s been my anecdotal conclusion.

The honeyed/candied/ginger aromas are not botrytis. Those you can get from other things, and of course aroma is not necessarily a flavor. I have heard people argue that botrytis only pokes holes in the grapes so they dry out and concentrate, while actually not imparting any specific flavor. BUT what do I know. I just rink the stuff.

Fascinating.

Geoff Kruth seems to think he can nail identifying botrytis blind but I can’t figure out how he does it.

http://www.timgaiser.com/blog/tasting-strategies-interview-with-geoff-kruth-ms