Who dumped their Joseph Swan collection on Wine Bid?

That’s a lot of wine from one producer in one auction. 150 bottles.
Some real gems, too. Older Zins and Pinots.
I used to love Joseph Swan Pinots back when I was buying CA Pinot.
I guess this is a PSA, too, if you aren’t afraid auctions.

Oh damn…better check it out

Some nice zins in there, fills look good on the older ones.

Someone died and their family didn’t drink?

Yup, they dumped a shitload of Bedrock as well.

:angry: Y’all better leave that '06 Mourvedre alone. :angry:
901e2c037b1f7644fabf28b276509449387b1bf3b8835448775add932035222a.jpg

That’s a lot of wine.

I value provenance. I would contact the wineries to see if they have these wines available for purchase. Then I guess you take your chances.

While I appreciate your PSA spirit OP…since I was already aware and actively bidding, I’m disappointed you’ve alerted the masses :slight_smile:

[tease.gif] Sorry!

What’s the style of the Swan wines? I am intrigued but it is hard to find much information on them.

[wink.gif] Don’t worry; I was waiting until last minute as usual!

Incredible bottle variation. Some of the best that CA Pinot has to offer, with 40% that are just bad. If price point is low, they are worth taking the chance. Like Kalin, which I love, there tends to be a lot that oxidize in short order, but when you are only paying $40/bottle, it is worth the gamble, as the bottles drink well above 2x that when they are on.

40% of Joseph Swan Pinots are just bad?
Not my experience. At all.

Wow there’s even a bottle of the '97 Pentagon Reserve Pinot there. That was legendary back in the day - and exceedingly rare!

It never ends…

It’s been a long time, but I feel the pull to respond to this thread. Amazing collection. One I’ve never seen in twenty years. I bought a lot of these – sorry anyone who I took wine from. Great provenance on these wines.

There are occasional vintages of Swan that have a bit more volatile acidity and variation, but nothing close to 40% of bottles. These are great wines, and this parcel is a rare treat. Some greater bottle variation in the 2003-2004 period. The Cabs are a genuinely hidden gem.

Thanks, Dennis, for posting this thread. These wines are special.

Tom- Good to see you round these parts again. Hope all is well
Stick around. Enjoy those Swan wines!

Tell us more about the cabs, Tom. You don’t see much RRV Cabernet.

You definitely don’t, Rich. And some years Swan will make as little as half a barrel. It’s always done in a very low alcohol, restrained style. They age like crazy. My first experience was with a bottle of 1985 in like 2006-2007. It was stunning. The fruit tends to be quite forward and the profile very classic – not Bordeaux-like because the fruit is just so different in RRV. Plenty of earth, too, and acidity like you’d expect from a Swan. I don’t know if I’ve seen one go higher than about 13% alcohol, with plenty of structure, so that probably paints the best picture of them. But they’ve also got the approachable fruit. Lovely wines, honestly.

Swan wines are obviously rustic, but to say 40% are off is totally insane. I’ve been on the list for several years and count on one hand the number of off bottles ive had. Only once have I felt like a bottle was truly corked/bad, which I mentioned to them, and they immediately replaced.

IMO - joseph swan is the hidden gem (ok not so hidden, but gem) of the RRV.

Their syrahs are criminally underrated and available at unbelievable price points.

Don’t sleep on their chardonnay either :slight_smile: