DIY condo closet cellar build: pics + questions

Although the conversion of my hall closet is taking longer than expected (doesn’t it always), I’m happy to say my spray foam is fully cured and I’m in the process of cutting the excess back to the studs so I can hang some greenboard. However, before I proceed, I’m looking for advice on how to best support/reinforce the wood support I built for the cooling unit which will vent above the door frame (the joys of working in a confined space). In hindsight, I really wish I’d put horizontal 2x4s between the existing studs, underneath the exposed wood for added support. Also, I’ve realized that toenailing wood screws was a poor choice for structural integrity. I’m thinking of buying some metal brackets that I can use two screws on, so that each screw enters a 2x4 at a perpendicular angle to better secure the box frame the cooling unit will sit on.

As for the wood itself, I really wish I used hardwood instead of the cheap pine I bought at Home Depot. Knowing this, I made sure to tripple coat every inch of wood in a clear, water-based poly sealer.

Going forward, my two largest concerns are the structural integrity of the cooling unit support (1/3 to 1/2 the weight will sit on the existing door frame) and being 100% moisture proof. For the floor, I plan to tile over a 6mil water-proof shower base. As I have a neighbor directly below me, it is crucial that zero moisture escapes through the floor. As far as finishing the walls and ceiling, I plan on tiling over all the green board with tile that looks like limestone bricks.

I’ll be sure to add more pictures as the project progresses and TIA for all tips and suggestions. Also, if you have any questions on the time and/or materials through the eyes of a novice, don’t hesitate to ask!

[cheers.gif]

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

more pics
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

more pics
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

more pics
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

very nice DIY job Mark. Keep us updated!

cooking meth and sealing wood
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks, Fu. Will do!

The cooling unit isn’t that heavy. You could probably support it by toenailing a support, although that’s the worst type of building IMO. Alternatively, why not buy a few angle brackets.

Good call, Greg. That’s what I’m leaning heavily towards. The CellarPro 1800QT I bought weighs roughly 50 pounds. As a quick test, I hung off the frame for about 10 seconds @ 180ish pounds with no problems.

Think about using wood screws if you are going toe nail. They are much stronger. Use #12s.

I used thick 3" wood screws with pilot holes on all 2x4s. Definitely going to install additional metal brackets though.

This is obviously a bigger unit, but I went this way. But I had to add bracing in the attic which was a pain.
IMG_0009.JPG

So the size of this is a typical coat closet? I think your cooling unit will run once… and then barely ever run again until you open the door.

Ha pretty much. I know it has a terrible r value, but I’m pretty set on an all glass door which will give my cooling unit the occasional workout. The closet is right off the kitchen and visible from the living room and stairwells so I really want the cellar to act as a nice display/conversation piece.

flirtysmile

Good luck. I had this all done so didn’t do the construction work myself but the Whisper Cool is on heavy duty metal brackets put into 4x4’s.

That will look great when its finished and be a great conversation piece with the glass door, I would love to have a cellar at home but then my wife would have all her suspicions confirmed

that is awesome. looking good.

the bouchard monty’s will look good in that cellar.

cheers!

Thanks, Ed. [cheers.gif]

I cut back most of the excess foam today. Can’t wait to throw the greenboard up.
image.jpeg

1 Like

Where is the toilet?

That’s going to be so sick when it’s finished, dude.