Stock photos of our soon-to-be-made door in stainless and black finishes:
Attachments
36EA94CD-0536-49C8-BA99-7B2BDCEC7490.png
7B16ECC2-22B2-4101-AE8B-2A95827AE316.png
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

A.B ud res

Re: DIY condo closet cellar build: pics + questions

#52 Post by A.B ud res » December 27th, 2018, 9:47 am

since the final product is going to use what looks to be a wine fridge door.. i'm just wondering if the cash spent, plus equivalent dollars in your time invested.. could you just have bought a 180 bottle VinoTemp or Similar and stuffed it in that closet? Yes the door opening would be smaller than the unit, but based on your skill of demo and rebuild you could have widened the door for entry and then just rebuilt it around the unit. I have been reading your build all along and love it. but when i saw the glass door it just made me think "so he just created a VinoTemp 180 in his closet".
Andrew

Mark B

#53 Post by Mark B » December 27th, 2018, 10:44 am

A.B ud res wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 9:47 am
since the final product is going to use what looks to be a wine fridge door.. i'm just wondering if the cash spent, plus equivalent dollars in your time invested.. could you just have bought a 180 bottle VinoTemp or Similar and stuffed it in that closet? Yes the door opening would be smaller than the unit, but based on your skill of demo and rebuild you could have widened the door for entry and then just rebuilt it around the unit. I have been reading your build all along and love it. but when i saw the glass door it just made me think "so he just created a VinoTemp 180 in his closet".
Perhaps, but I don’t think the finished product would’ve been as aesthetically pleasing. Plus, I’ve heard too many horror stories of fridges going kaput and needing full replacement. If my cooling unit goes at some future date, I’m only out about $1,200 for the unit.
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

YLee

#54 Post by YLee » December 27th, 2018, 10:49 am

Do you have a finished pic?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Victor Hong

#55 Post by Victor Hong » December 27th, 2018, 10:49 am

Mark B wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 10:44 am
A.B ud res wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 9:47 am
Perhaps, but I don’t think the finished product would’ve been as aesthetically pleasing. Plus, I’ve heard too many horror stories of fridges going kaput and needing full replacement. If my cooling unit goes at some future date, I’m only out about $1,200 for the unit.
That $1,200 would put you further behind the cost of just buying a standalone unit.
WineHunter.

Mark B

#56 Post by Mark B » December 27th, 2018, 11:04 am

As this was an enriching and at times frustrating experience, I decided to compile a brief and approximate list of my material costs to build this cellar in hopes that it gives others better insights on what is to be expected if undertaking a similar project. While building in such a small space proved challenging, it is certainly possible if you’re commited to making it work.

Miscellaneous wood beams, screws, and supports: $60
Drywall, drywall screws, mud, tape: $200
Miscellaneous hand tools, power drill, gloves, protective plastic, body suit, respirator: $250
Electrician costs (moving light + bringing in dedicated circuit): $500
4 rounds of closed-cell foam: $1,200
Wasted tile, tile cutter, grout, mortar, and Durock cement board: $100
Metal lath: $10
5 gallon bucket of Red Guard: $150
50lb bag self-leveling concrete: $35
Wine rack + moving costs: $330
Cellar Pro Cooling Unit: $1,200
Anthony International custom Width Series 101 door: $1,040
Professional installation of commercial glass door: $1,800
gas spent driving to Home Depot 100 times: $30

I’m not going to lie, that was a boatload of money spent on a mere 170 bottle capacity, but we’re more than happy with its functionality and looks. Now, we just have to live in the condo for 50 more years to recoup our costs.

[snort.gif]
Last edited by Mark B on December 27th, 2018, 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#57 Post by c fu » December 27th, 2018, 11:06 am

let's get us some finished closet cellar pics mark! thanks for all the detail!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Mark B

#58 Post by Mark B » December 27th, 2018, 11:09 am

c fu wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 11:06 am
let's get us some finished closet cellar pics mark! thanks for all the detail!
Will do! As soon as the pros finish the door, I’ll be sure to include pictures of it both as empty and stocked to max capacity.

[berserker.gif]
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Mark B

#59 Post by Mark B » December 27th, 2018, 11:12 am

YLee wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 10:49 am
Do you have a finished pic?
Soon! I’ll be sure to post more when it’s done in about a month.
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

YLee

#60 Post by YLee » December 27th, 2018, 11:38 am

Even though some times a DIY costs more, it's the pride and joy that you did it yourself that makes it meaningful.
I would do this if I had the patience and know how.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by ClarkstonMark » December 27th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Mark B wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 11:04 am
As this was an enriching and at times frustrating experience, I decided to compile a brief and approximate list of my material costs to build this cellar in hopes that it gives others better insights on what is to be expected if undertaking a similar project. While building in such a small space proved challenging, it is certainly possible if you’re commited to making it work.

Miscellaneous hand tools, power drill, gloves, protective plastic, body suit, respirator: $250

I’m not going to lie, that was a boatload of money spent on a mere 170 bottle capacity, but we’re more than happy with its functionality and looks. Now, we just have to live in the condo for 50 more years to recoup our costs.

[snort.gif]
Holy cow, looks like you pissed away all the savings from those retailer basement wine finds.
Im guessing you went into this thinking it could cost maybe $500 or so. Crazy what happens when you get something started.
$1200 to insulate the closet, or did you do more?
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Mark B

#62 Post by Mark B » December 27th, 2018, 3:52 pm

ClarkstonMark wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 3:21 pm
Mark B wrote:

[snort.gif]
Holy cow, looks like you pissed away all the savings from those retailer basement wine finds.
Im guessing you went into this thinking it could cost maybe $500 or so. Crazy what happens when you get something started.
$1200 to insulate the closet, or did you do more?

Sadly, it ended up being $1,200 just for the insulation. I could have easily
Gotten away with three kits for $900 had I been smart enough to put a metal lath in the ceiling to give the spray something close to adhere to. The R value of the ceiling is probably 50+
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Kirk.Grant » December 27th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Ouch...a very cool learning experience, but a lot more expensive than a Eurocave that will hold about the same number of wines. Thank you for sharing, it does help to understand the actual cost of some of these labors of love...
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Victor Hong

#64 Post by Victor Hong » December 27th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Mark B wrote:

[snort.gif]
Must be nice......... [grin.gif]
WineHunter.

Mary Deem

#65 Post by Mary Deem » January 1st, 2019, 11:11 am

Looks really good thus far. I am really impressed that you did this on your own. Kudos.

Thanks for sharing the cost break down. I will use this to convince my husband that we need one of these..even though he does not drink wine.

I have to ask what became of poor Thunderbucket? I know that you are going all Uptown and Classy...but don't forget your roots. I am hoping that at least one of your toilets remains scruffy in hommage to Thunderbucket.

Mark B

#66 Post by Mark B » February 27th, 2019, 2:20 pm

After almost three painfully long months, the custom door finally shipped to the local installation company last week and was professionally installed this morning. As soon as the installers left, I decided to fire 'er up for a test run. The chiller took around 20ish minutes to cool down to 55 while throwing off a noise comparable to a loud kitchen refrigerator. After the cooler shut off, I'd noticed it was cycling way too often. A quick check of the bottom seal found a substantial air gap by the bottom hinge. A quick trip to Home Depot for some rubber insulation stripping and an infrared thermometer quickly sealed the gap and significantly reduced the frequency of the cooler cycling. When it does kick, I've noticed it only runs for about a minute on average, which to me seems ordinary. I know the floor has a poor R value so the occasional cycling was expected.

Unfortunately, the height came in about an inch short even though I measured prior and had this door custom built. I was a bit ticked, but the installers were able to drill a sized 2x4 to the top of the frame to close the gap before installing the door. As for the door itself, I'm beyond happy with its form and function. The top-to-bottom glass lets me see every bottle in the front row without having to open the door and let hot air into the cellar. I love how the handle runs the length of the entire door and barely protrudes as to not obstruct the walking path in the hallway. Also worth noting, the door is very stable once opened and doesn't move around much at whichever angle you position it at. Coolest of all, when you open the door all the way it cocks into a semi-lock position where it will not start to close back up until you give it a slight pull. This is also cool for preventing a strong arm from over opening the door and damaging the hinge.

As for the storage, the size I cut the racking to is just perfect for the door size. The door has a frame built into it and thus slightly chokes down the size of the opening. The bottles on the left are the tightest moving in and out so I have decided to put only Bordeaux-shaped bottles on the far left to prevent any rubbing against the door frame. In total, she holds 170 bottles (5x2x17). Once loaded and running for several hours, I decided to check my bottles with an infrared thermometer. Luckily the temperature differential seems to fall between just 55 and 57 degrees Fahrenheit.
[winner.gif]

While the door and installation was painfully expensive, I truly believe it was money well spent as the aesthetics are far better than I'd imagined and the insulation properties of the door are supposed to be the best you could possibly get from glass. Now, all that's left is mudding over the wood above the door and touching up/painting around where the old door trim used to be.
Attachments
2.jpeg
2-2.jpeg
2-1.jpeg
Last edited by Mark B on February 27th, 2019, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Mark B

#67 Post by Mark B » February 27th, 2019, 2:22 pm

More pics
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed-5.jpg
unnamed-4.jpg
unnamed-3.jpg
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by mattcitrang » February 27th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Excellent. Great job! That looks fantastic.

Mark B

#69 Post by Mark B » February 27th, 2019, 2:27 pm

mattcitrang wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:23 pm
Thanks!

[bow.gif]
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Jeffrey Neal

#70 Post by Jeffrey Neal » February 27th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Looks great 😀

Are you using a bottle sensor for temp control? That generally reduces cycling.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#71 Post by c fu » February 27th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Mark B wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:22 pm
More pics
looks even better from a distance. I like the location and how well it meshes into the space. Doesn't seem obtrusive. Great job Mark!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Mark B

#72 Post by Mark B » February 27th, 2019, 2:46 pm

c fu wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:32 pm
Mark B wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:22 pm
More pics
looks even better from a distance. I like the location and how well it meshes into the space. Doesn't seem obtrusive. Great job Mark!
Thanks for the support, Fu! If you’re ever back in Chicago, I’ll let you raid a bottle or two from it for immediate consumption.

[drinkers.gif]
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Mark B

#73 Post by Mark B » February 27th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Jeffrey Neal wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:30 pm
Looks great 😀

Thanks! Not familiar with the workings of a bottle sensor. I think it’s currently just sensing air temp and cycling every time it hits 60.
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

julianseersmartin

#74 Post by julianseersmartin » February 27th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Looks great.

Out of interest, what did you determine as the cooler "cycling too frequently"? Just curious, wondering whether my unit goes a bit too much.

Mark B

#75 Post by Mark B » February 27th, 2019, 2:54 pm

julianseersmartin wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:51 pm
Looks great.

Out of interest, what did you determine as the cooler "cycling too frequently"? Just curious, wondering whether my unit goes a bit too much.
Don’t have much to base it off. Seems to kick on every 20-30 minutes. Runs for about a minute and shuts off.
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

ky1em!ttskus

#76 Post by ky1em!ttskus » February 27th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Damn, dude; that looks slick! And, you're pumped about it, which is all that matters. [cheers.gif]

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by CJ Beazley » February 27th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Mark B wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:27 pm
mattcitrang wrote:
Thanks!

[bow.gif]
You’re ALREADY done?!? Kidding, I kid. I think it looks great, good job and satisfying to know you did it yourself.
It's C(raig)

Mark B

#78 Post by Mark B » February 27th, 2019, 4:36 pm

ky1em!ttskus wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 3:24 pm
Damn, dude; that looks slick! And, you're pumped about it, which is all that matters. [cheers.gif]
Thanks, man! I know it sounds cliché, but it’s uniquely statisfying to look at something nice and say “hey, I built that!”
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Mark B

#79 Post by Mark B » February 27th, 2019, 4:37 pm

CJ Beazley wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 4:34 pm
Mark B wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:27 pm
mattcitrang wrote:
Thanks!

[bow.gif]
You’re ALREADY done?!? Kidding, I kid. I think it looks great, good job and satisfying to know you did it yourself.
Thanks, CJ! What are you talking about?! It only took two years...

pileon
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by ykwon » February 27th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Man that looks legit. Great job.
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

AndrewH

#81 Post by AndrewH » February 27th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Mark B wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:48 pm
Jeffrey Neal wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:30 pm
Looks great 😀

Thanks! Not familiar with the workings of a bottle sensor. I think it’s currently just sensing air temp and cycling every time it hits 60.
Having the cooling run based on liquid temperature may reduce cycling, but it also has the potential for greater fluctuation. Liquid changes temperature much less rapidly than air, which means the room will get much warmer before the wine reacts. It will then have to run a long time to bring the wine temperature down below the set point, because to "reverse" the temperature increase will take a significant amount of cooling.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Jeffrey Neal

#82 Post by Jeffrey Neal » February 28th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Here is the bottle probe:

http://www.cellarprocoolingsystems.com/ ... ory=639370

I use one in my cellar and it keeps the temp very constant without a lot of cycling on and off.

Mark B

#83 Post by Mark B » March 1st, 2019, 5:04 am

Jeffrey Neal wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 12:18 pm
Here is the bottle probe:

http://www.cellarprocoolingsystems.com/ ... ory=639370

I use one in my cellar and it keeps the temp very constant without a lot of cycling on and off.

Guys, thanks for the recs on the bottle probe. I may have to go that route as it is still cycling too frequently. As the cooling unit is located above the door, is there a chance poor air flow is causing the problem? Perhaps a cheap fan blowing towards or away from the condenser coils would help?
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Mark B

#84 Post by Mark B » March 1st, 2019, 5:13 am

ykwon wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 7:18 pm
Man that looks legit. Great job.
Thanks!
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by CJ Beazley » March 1st, 2019, 5:52 am

I forgot to ask how many bottles does it hold? Is there ‘bulk stortage’ above the racking?
It's C(raig)

Mark B

#86 Post by Mark B » March 1st, 2019, 6:08 am

CJ Beazley wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 5:52 am
I forgot to ask how many bottles does it hold? Is there ‘bulk stortage’ above the racking?
170 bottles in total (5x2x17). Unfortunately, it's lacking bulk storage room as anything on top of the rack would block the cooler's fan and not clear the top of the door frame.
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Mark B

#87 Post by Mark B » March 1st, 2019, 6:35 am

Also, this may sound crazy, but is there any chance adding some aluminum to the cellar will help to create a bit of a heat sink for the air temperature?
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

z_hart

#88 Post by z_hart » March 1st, 2019, 7:44 am

Looks good! I had a similar cellar built, but in a large walk in closet. I sketched it out, was really detailed on researching and adding up how much I thought it would cost to build, then had our contractor build it out. It turned out to be well over 2x what I was expecting, but it looks great and we're happy we did it. My biggest issue is that it became too small really quick.

Aluminum doesn't hold temperature, cold or hot (think about how you can touch aluminum foil as soon as it comes out of the oven), so probably not worth adding it. Filling it up with bottles will really help. You can also set the temperature control range a bit wider. Say let the temperature drift up to 60 degrees before the unit kicks back on to bring it down to 55.

Also, might want to add a filter to the back air intake for the unit (if you haven't already). It will help keep dust out of the cooling fins and will keep the unit running longer with less maintenance.
z a c h

Mark B

#89 Post by Mark B » March 1st, 2019, 7:52 am

Might it be advantageous to put some cans of sparkling water on the floor underneath the rack? My understanding is that this lessens the amount of airspace, adds more liquid heat sink, and might have additional benefits for it being aluminum and covering some flooring that has a poor R value?
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Mark B

#90 Post by Mark B » March 1st, 2019, 7:55 am

z_hart wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 7:44 am
Looks good! I had a similar cellar built, but in a large walk in closet. I sketched it out, was really detailed on researching and adding up how much I thought it would cost to build, then had our contractor build it out. It turned out to be well over 2x what I was expecting, but it looks great and we're happy we did it. My biggest issue is that it became too small really quick.

Aluminum doesn't hold temperature, cold or hot (think about how you can touch aluminum foil as soon as it comes out of the oven), so probably not worth adding it. Filling it up with bottles will really help. You can also set the temperature control range a bit wider. Say let the temperature drift up to 60 degrees before the unit kicks back on to bring it down to 55.

Also, might want to add a filter to the back air intake for the unit (if you haven't already). It will help keep dust out of the cooling fins and will keep the unit running longer with less maintenance.
Thanks for all the insights, much appreciated! I'll keep tinkering around and report back.
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Viet Ly
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Viet Ly » March 1st, 2019, 8:11 am

Thanks for posting. Cost more $ but I'm sure it feels good every time you walk by or grab a bottle from the cellar.

Mark Mason

#92 Post by Mark Mason » March 1st, 2019, 9:34 am

That does look great Mark! Congratulations on finally finishing it!
Hard water fisherman

A.B ud res

#93 Post by A.B ud res » March 1st, 2019, 11:03 am

The custom door looks incredible.. i take back what i said about it just being a VinoTemp 180. Even if i stuck my fridge in a wall and reframed and trimmed it to be flush it should still look like a stand alone unit.. Really, the door attached to the frame is SICK. Now, after you've gone over 170 you will toss that racking system and get something that will lay bottle on top of each other.. like a bin of some sort. It will happen, and it will still look fine.
Andrew

Oliver V

#94 Post by Oliver V » March 1st, 2019, 1:30 pm

Looks good!

With regard to the frequent cycling, the only way to be sure is to measure the temperature at the top and bottom of the closet to ensure it's consistent. You can just use a cheap thermometer- doesn't need to be too accurate. You're just measuring the temp difference. If there's little difference, you haven't insulated enough and the whole cellar is warming up too fast. If that's the case the glass door is probably the culprit. There's probably not much you can do about that though. A bottle probe should help it run less though.

If it's wildly different from top to bottom you have an airflow problem and you need to find a way to direct the air downwards. My cellar has an angled piece of plywood in a certain position to angle the airflow in the direction I want it. You might be able to do something similar at the back behind the cooling unit.
Oliver Vargas

Bob Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Bob Martin » March 1st, 2019, 1:56 pm

I think that looks way better than a freestanding unit. As long as you didn’t mortgage the farm to pay for it you will never regret it

Bob

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Tom Reddick » March 1st, 2019, 8:55 pm

In my appraisal work, I have seen countless wine cellars built inside homes using a spare closet or other small space. This is about as nice an outcome as I have ever seen. Great job.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Jeffrey Neal

#97 Post by Jeffrey Neal » March 1st, 2019, 10:04 pm

I would give it a few days to settle in before getting too concerned. It may have gotten to 55 quickly, but that is just the air temp. The bottles are going to warm the air until they and their contents get down to your set temperature. The cooling unit is designed to cool slowly to avoid sucking the humidity out of the air.

Mine took more than a week to settle in. If you have something in there you want to drink on Saturday, pop the cork and check the temp of the wine with an instant read thermometer. You may find it is still several degrees above the air temp.

Mark B

#98 Post by Mark B » March 2nd, 2019, 6:07 am

Jeffrey Neal wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 10:04 pm
I would give it a few days to settle in before getting too concerned. It may have gotten to 55 quickly, but that is just the air temp. The bottles are going to warm the air until they and their contents get down to your set temperature. The cooling unit is designed to cool slowly to avoid sucking the humidity out of the air.

Mine took more than a week to settle in. If you have something in there you want to drink on Saturday, pop the cork and check the temp of the wine with an instant read thermometer. You may find it is still several degrees above the air temp.
Thanks for the insights, Jeff! Your post has me breathing a temporary sigh of relief. I'm really hoping that's the case and it'll self correct. As of right now, I have some wonky numbers reading on the two digital thermometers I have in there. The ones at the top and bottom of the cellar are both reading 63 air temp and 35% humidity, which seems alarming to me. Humidity for whatever reason seems low and I'm guessing it keeps cycling because the air temp hasn't dropped far below the low 60's yet. I'm going to read over the user manual and possibly call Cellar Pro for more insights.
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Mark B

#99 Post by Mark B » March 2nd, 2019, 6:08 am

Bob Martin wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 1:56 pm
I think that looks way better than a freestanding unit. As long as you didn’t mortgage the farm to pay for it you will never regret it

Bob
Thanks, Bob!
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Mark B

#100 Post by Mark B » March 2nd, 2019, 6:08 am

Tom Reddick wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 8:55 pm
In my appraisal work, I have seen countless wine cellars built inside homes using a spare closet or other small space. This is about as nice an outcome as I have ever seen. Great job.
Thanks, Tom!
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Return to “Wine Talk”