TNs from visits to Kutch, Carlisle, Copain, Limerick Lane

My wife and I spent a long weekend up in Bodega Bay to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We took two afternoons to visit with some wineries that have long been our favorites, plus to explore and see if we find a new love, which we did. Here are some impressions and quick tasting notes; I’ll post some photos below as well.

[Since it’s late and I have a busy early morning at the office, I’ll start with Kutch and add the other reports in the next few days as time permits. Thanks for following along.]

VISIT TO KUTCH, AUGUST 24, 2017.

Jaime was kind enough to meet with us at the crush facility just south of the city of Sonoma. Although he shares the facility with other wineries, he has his own space and equipment in one portion of the building, including some impressive wooden fermenters you’ll see in the photos. He was set to begin harvesting the next day (Jaime does like to harvest early!), so they were hard at work cleaning and prepping everything, and it was most generous of him to take time to meet with us.

Jaime poured his as yet unreleased 2016 lineup for us, plus a 2014 MacDougall pinot, all drawn from open bottles preserved with Coravin, which seems like a perfect concept for his situation. All the wines seemed to be in perfect condition.

2016 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. Unlike in some past years, this wine is now made from portions of the harvest at the sites where Kutch makes their SVDs. 100% whole cluster, 12.1% alcohol. This has a soaring red berry fragrance and fruit, really lovely. There is some pull-back at the end from stem tannins, but this already would be sporty drink and a terrific value (I think $39). This bottling has seriously overdelivered in recent vintages.

2016 Signal Ridge Pinot Noir. This is from the Mendocino Ridge AVA, which only has a dozen or fewer small vineyards in it. The vineyard sits at 2800’ elevation, which is the highest vineyard in Sonoma (Coast?) or Mendocino. This was 50% whole cluster and 12.0% alcohol. This has bright, tart red cherry and cherry pit, with a hint of herb. It has a long finish with a significant cherry pit dimension at this young age. It has good intensity for a wine that is so unmanipulated and has such little weight.

2016 Bohan Pinot Noir. From 45 year old vines which are own-rooted and dry farmed - I believe these are the oldest pinot vines in the Sonoma Coast. This was the leanest and most savory wine in the lineup, at least at this early point. Bony red fruit with some dusty bramble and plenty of savory herbal qualities. I think this will end up being good (in a more extreme AWFE style) if you give it a few years to integrate with the stems.

2016 MacDougall Pinot Noir. This is always the darkest and biggest pinot of the Kutch lineup, but of course that is a relative measure, and this is still well to the whole cluster, less ripe, lower alcohol and more elegant side of the spectrum. This vineyard sits at 1,000’ elevation, south facing, and in hard rocky soil. This has more of a dark cherry and purple berry profile, maybe a bit of plum, with some rocky mineral and savory herb.

2016 Falstaff Pinot Noir. A different face of the Sonoma Coast contrasting with MacDougall. This vineyard sits at 100’ on sandy Goldridge soil, covered in morning fog. This has lean but intense red fruit, and a decidedly savory profile, where the fruit doesn’t cover the pepper and bay leaf dimensions. The stems come in greener on the whole clusters here, compared to the darker and riper stems at MacDougall, and the wine will need more time to knit together. The MacDougall is a funner drink today, but I’d probably lean to this wine in the cellar and as being the especially Kutchy expression of Jamie’s vision and passion.

2014 MacDougall Pinot Noir. This has deep purple berry fruit, violets and other dark florals, but it firms up and finishes with savory, mineral and acidic character at the finish. A very nice wine which will continue to improve.

2016 Chardonnay Sonoma Coast. Kutch’s debut chardonnay, the 2014 Santa Cruz Mountains, came roaring out of the gate and was, in my opinion and that of a number of other Berserkers, perhaps the best debut wine of 2016. Though it wasn’t a surprise, as Kutch + chardonnay has always seemed like something that just should be. It’s been six months or so since I opened the first of my bottles of the 2014, so I don’t have a side by side comparison, but this was another stunning effort. Perhaps leaner and lighter than the 2014, or maybe it’s all or part being two years younger, this is a pale yellow, lean and bright, white flowers, cool wet stones, and lemon and orange acids. Very precise and focused.

I think I have only met Jamie once before, at a Kutch tasting dinner organized by (you’ll never guess who . . .) Frank Murray several years ago. Maybe I’ve met him one or two other times, but only very briefly if so. So I don’t have a lot of history or know him very well on a personal level. But he is certainly an impressive guy, and most impressive for the intensity and passion he brings to his wines.

Jamie has strong opinions and has created a powerful vision for himself of what he wants his wines to be, and I have a great deal of respect for his articulation of and commitment to that vision. I personally have a lot of room in my tastes, my life and my cellar for much of the spectrum of wine, if it’s made well, and Kutch occupies an important place in that spectrum. I think I will try to gradually increase my Kutch buying and drinking in the coming years based on the high and growing quality of his offerings that I’ve seen the last few vintages.

IMG_4492.JPG
IMG_4490.JPG
IMG_4491.JPG

Thanks for the comprehensive TN’s of the Kutch wines, Chris!!!

Dogs name please.
Great notes, looking forward to the rest.

Keep 'em coming!

Counselor, nice work. Joanne and you do tasting during your 20th, and you bring the fluffy white dog along. Epic. Happy anniversary to both of you.

Looks like the 2016 tank blends I tried last month are now bottled so we got them at different points on their curve. One example where you and I saw some difference was in the Falstaff where found the wine a little more filled out than your note shows. We also differed on the Signal Ridge expression, as I found the red apple and raspberry and you have a distinct cherry description that I dig.

We concurred well on the Sonoma Coast and also the Dougie profiles.

Be jazzed to see the rest of your trip notes, to see what you had at Carlisle and Copain, pal.

• 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/23/2017)
    Tasted from a tank sample, this is the final blend, which was just built and was being readied for bottling. This shows juicy, with black cherry, lots of red cherry and a nice structure underpinning the wine.
  • 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/23/2017)
    Tasted from a tank sample, this is the final blend, which was just built and was being readied for bottling. Like the 2016 Signal Ridge bottling, this too shows a lightly stem quality, giving the aromatic a spicy, peppery note. Lots of berry in a flamboyant core.
  • 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/23/2017)
    Tasted from a tank sample, this is the final blend, which was just built and was being readied for bottling. Spicy watermelon, rose petal, juicy with plenty of acidity and crunch. Finishes with a strawberry note. Pure.
  • 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir Rosé - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/23/2017)
    Started off the tasting with Jamie using this wine as the opener. Creamy, pure strawberry, peach and a good amount of refreshing acidity.
  • 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir Sans Soufre - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/23/2017)
    Tasted this earlier in the year, it showed similarly again. This is Bohan fruit done with a carbonic method. Approachable, smooth, fresh with enough structure to make the wine finish well.
  • 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir Signal Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino Ridge (7/23/2017)
    Tasted from a tank sample, this is the final blend, which was just built and was being readied for bottling. This wine is made from a vineyard that is nearly 3000 feet up on the Mendo ridgeline. Very aromatic, with a light stem note. Red apple, raspberry, a bit creamy with a wild, sauvage quality. I really like SR.
  • 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/23/2017)
    Tasted from a tank sample, this is the final blend, which was just built and was being readied for bottling. Cherry and raspberry, with soil, structure and a long finish. Whereas in past years, when the blend was mainly Sonoma Stage and Campbell Ranch, this is now (and I believe going forward), will be declassed barrels from the single vineyards. So, to think about this wine, it’s truly in the Rhys kind of model, where declassed fruit from the best sources make up the blend. Really dug this version of SC.

Posted from CellarTracker

That Signal Ridge sounds like one to seek out. I think I’ll do exactly that.
Have any of you guys put the touch on him to put together a Berserker Day offer?

Appreciate the Kutch notes, but please stop teasing us. Congrats on your 20th anniversary!!

If Russ Williams asks, what can I do but say yes?

VISIT TO CARLISLE, AUGUST 24, 2017.

Like Jamie, Mike Officer was most gracious to make time for our visit just a day before he was going to begin harvesting from his first site. August, you say? There’s a fun reason, but one you’ll have to wait to learn about when Mike is ready. His crew was hard at work scrubbing everything in advance of the harvest craziness.

Mike was kind enough to tell us a bit of his personal story. He first discovered wine at age 19, while his older sister, who worked at a nice restaurant, gave him the bug by persuading him to try some great 1970s California cabernets. After college (at Pomona College, an institution most noted for graduating one Chris Seiber and his wife-to-be Joanne back in 1991 [cheers.gif] ), Mike worked a full schedule in software and on Wall Street, while he made small but growing amounts of wine in his garage, grinding through two jobs plus long hours of commute in between what paid the bills and where his true passion lay.

Finally, in 1998, he and his wife realized that while they could no longer humanly continue doing both things, they could finally make enough money with Mike quitting his job in SF and starting Carlisle (and his wife continuing her job for the time being), and Mike debuted with the 1997 vintage of Carlisle. Mike was also able to bring in his college friend Jay Maddox, who was in the midst of a career and life move, and Jay now serves as the chief viticulturalist for Carlisle. Not surprisingly, given how long Mike had been honing his winemaking craft before starting Carlisle, his early vintages have proven to be excellent wines - I recently had a 2001 Riebli Ranch Zinfandel, which is going quite strongly, with plenty of fruit, acid and character to carry it many years into the future. Even his appellation blends from his early years are still doing well, in my experience.

Jay persuaded Mike that they needed to move out of a shared crush facility, and in 2013, they moved into (and later expanded) this facility in Windsor. I neglected to take a photo from the outside, and the photo I found online won’t be accepted on this board, but you can see it at this link:

http://construction.nordby.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Carlisle_Winery-Hood.jpg

Mike would have shared barrel samples of his 2016, but they had just topped them up a day or two before, and they go into lockdown for a period after topping up. We did get to taste a selection of his 2015s, which of course were excellent, but moreso interesting to get to taste with Mike and to hear his thoughts.

Mike did share his overall thoughts about the 2016 vintage. He said it was looking like an early vintage with a lot of sunshine, but then in mid-August, a month of cool foggy weather descended, and the grapes sort of stood pat just a little short of harvesting ripeness levels. When the curtain lifted in mid September, everything ripened at once, and it became a mad sprint to bring in all the grapes. He described his 2016s as being darker fruited than the more red fruited 2015s, with more structure for aging.
IMG_4495.JPG
On to the wines:

2015 Derivative. This white is a blend of muscadelle, semillon, colombard and palomino, sourced from the Monte Rosso and Mancini Ranch vineyards. As you might have guessed, 2015 was the last year Carlisle was able to buy grapes from Monte Rosso, but Mike has sourced semillon from Rossi Ranch, so this blend will continue forward. This is a fairly pale yellow, with refreshing tart citrus, white peach, a bit of herb and river rock. Likely a wine that will have improved in a year or two if you can keep your hands off. Perfect first wine on a hot afternoon in the Russian River Valley.

2015 Rossi Ranch Zinfandel. Red cherry and kirsch, with a bit of liqueur concentration at the front end. Sage and mineral kick in, and there is some moderate tannin on the finish. As usual for Carlisle, there is no obtrustive flavor or weight from oak, and the wine manages to have intensity without heaviness. I think this will develop for several years - I would suggest holding off on this a bit.

2015 Papera Zinfandel. Carlisle Papera remains my favorite zinfandel bottling, and 2015 is another great vintage. Brambly fresh red and purple berry, a bit leafy, a touch of anise, lots of acid on the finish. This should continue to improve as well.
2015 Palisades Petite Sirah. A dark, intense wine. Black fruits, ripe plum, a bit of chocolate, and a chalky texture. Chewy and tannic, yet entirely enjoyable now if you’re in the mood. I don’t know that it needs age because of high tannins, but, unlike the zins, I do perceive a bit of oak on this one, and I think a few years from now would see a bit cleaner fruit profile for my tastes.

I don’t get the sense that Mike is a guy who seeks out the public eye, but if you get a chance to visit with him, you should do so. He is quietly brilliant on many subjects, and if you can get him going, you can learn so much about vineyards, winemaking, the winemaking business, and most other places your conversation might range.

Keep writing, Chris and I’ll keep reading. :slight_smile:

I’m loving these Berserker trip reports!

Great notes, Chris, and Happy Anniversary to you and your wife! I appreciate you taking the time to post these pictures and notes. As mentioned above, keep them coming!

Thanks,
Ed

Really touched by the kind words, y’all. The power of kindness is immense. Thanks.

Chris… we barrel tasted the 2016s with Mike earlier this month, and they were nothing short of sensational. Then again, after tasting out of 17 barrels…

Great notes Chris! Looking forward to re-reading these and seeing the rest.

Happy Anniversary, you two!

Great notes, thanks for posting them. Also, congrats on your anniversary!

Is the Bohan vineyard the same as the Hirsch Bohan-Dillon? The Hirsch Bohan-Dillon was one of the wines that got me interested in Pinot Noir when I first started drinking wine.

Mike is such a great guy! Thanks for sharing!

I am pretty sure it is the same one.

Thanks again for your notes, Chris!!!

Counselor, are you keeping me in suspense regarding the Copain TNs? Did you make it there?