Pinot Vs Pot

There`s an interesting article online about the battle between the Wagner family and their neighbours. The Wagner family own property in Yamhill County and want to grow cannabis. This has set off a confrontation with neighboring grape growers who fear spray drift and other unfavorable effects on their vines. Mahmood (Mo) Momtazi of Momtazi Vineyards in McMinnville, who has almost 600 acres of biodynamically farmed vineyards near the Wagner property, is in a legal battle with the Wagners. The exact effect of cannabis fields on adjacent vineyards is unknown at present. This is currently a heated topic in the Willamette Valley. The article can be read at Are You Team Pinot Or Team Pot? Why The Debate Has One Community Choosing Sides

Blake, is this the Caymus Wagners?

Compromise - leave Pinot in Burgundy, convert Oregon Pinot to pot. Win-win

Regardless of if he’s growing weed or grapes or apricots wouldn’t any over-spray affect neighboring vineyards? Or is there something specific about the marijuana?

Or they could just mix them together like Pax does [pwn.gif]

Quite appropriate that this is reported in Buzzfeed.

If the link in the OP doesn’t work for you here’s a revised link: Pinot Vs Pot. That whole thing seems absurd. The grape grower isn’t even worried about spray because the cannabis grower doesn’t even intend to spray. In fact he is very pleased his grape growing neighbor won’t either. The grape grower is worried about the smell from the cannabis plants tainting his grapes. I am highly dubious about this claim.

Why waste prime grape growing terroir on pot? That crap can grow anywhere

You’ve never picked up that eucalyptus note in a Martha’s?

It doesn’t take much reading about pot to find that pot aficionados are very concerned about terroir in growing pot. It seems to rank at least as high in importance to them as it does to us winos. The difference is that terroir seems to affect the actual kind of high they get and not just the flavor, probably due to the fact that it is inhaled rather than drunk.

That is brought up in the article but there is no evidence I am aware of that this is a real concern with cannabis.

Ha, sorry I haven’t read it, I was just kidding around.

No

Love it Howard.

Thanks Brian. That works much better.

And yet, not many single vineyard Pinot aficionados are living in their parent’s basement [wink.gif]

Are you sure?

I stand corrected. I had first assumed it was Joe since he is doing Oregon Pinot Noir now, but then I read the article and it is not this Wagner.

Assuming there is such a thing as terroir, how likely is it that Vitis vinifera and Cannabis thrive best on the same terroir? I guess Cannabis grown in places like Maui, Jamaica, Colombia, Nigeria, etc., is just crap [wow.gif]

This has been a big issue in Yamhill County for at least a year. From everything I’ve read in the local paper, this is not about growing marijuana, it’s about processing the marijuana in a remote setting, with an inadequate road, no water, and no sewer. Much of the marijuana sold in the State is consumed as edibles, not the stuff you smoke. No one really understands what the impact of the THC extraction process is. The only place processing the stuff in Yamhill County that I’m aware of is in an industrially zoned area south of McMinnville.

Yamhill County residents have been having a 10 year running battle with Waste Management over a Large landfill on the southern edge of McMinnville that is sited in an area zoned for farming that is totally unsuitable for a landfill. It was sold as a small local landfill for the County only, and now get a good share of the garbage from the Portland Metro area. Residents are very concerned about any expansion of activities allowed inside areas zoned for farming because they saw what happened with Waste Management. In addition, wine grapes are a huge crop within the County. Anything that could potentially disturb that industry is going to have a difficult time. I would suspect that a similar operation in Napa Valley would have a tough time too.

Lastly, we have three County Commissioners, and two of them are questionable at best. Mary Starett was a Portland TV personality who had the good fortune of having a name that was very similar to her very popular predecessor (who was term limited out). Her qualifications for her position are non-existent.