TNR: Cayuse Flying Pig

Despite having been on the Cayuse list for about a decade, I come to find out recently that there’s this bottling called Flying Pig that’s supposed to be outstanding but that has never sneaked its way onto my allocation page. Has anyone actually had the wine? Any good? Yes, I know that there are reviews on CT, but who knows who X-Ray and Stumpy and Red Teeth and Babyblue are? I just want to know if I need to go on one of my “Trash the winery in public because they won’t sell me what I want despite all the money I have given them in the past” rants or should I instead go for the “Thank you for not offering me your wine because I hear it really sucks” email.

I’ve had a few (generosity of friends).
Love it.

I’ve been lucky and had it a few times. It’s a beautiful wine and one I hope makes it onto my allocation one day.

I think it’s interesting that the atrociousness of Cayuse’s labels are inversely proportional to how good the wine inside is (with the caveat that their worst wine is still amazing and their most attractive labels are still god awful, the lovers notwithstanding).

Been buying for well over a decade. After a few years, I actually got FP in my ask. Didn’t try it…felt I had too much Cayuse (imagine the madness)…so I cut that one. Finally tried one and regretted my decision. Put it back on my wish list and 4 years later…got it back in the allocation. It is tied with BF as my favorite.

Feel the folks at Cayuse due their best to allocate their highly desired wines. Might help if folks didn’t put everything on their wish list every year…have talked to many folks that have that as a strategy (shot gun). If you have a specific wish…keep it in their sights and from my experience…your wish will get granted.

I have had a few, and have many more in the cellar. Sometimes I love it (I would have to go back to look at my tasting notes to see the vintages I really loved). Other times I thought it has been ok. A bit disjointed or flat sometimes. I have not tried a young one recently, so maybe will do so given your inquiry!

My experience to a tee [cheers.gif]

Same here. I stopped buying because of that.

My personal opinion is that Cayuse does an great job with Syrah, making very good to great wines which are differentiated and unique and worth buying. The Bdx blends are good, sometimes great, but not differentiated enough or consistently great enough to my taste, and I choose not to invest in them. As always YMMV.

We had the 08 at a weird dinner out in Seattle recently. It was good to very good but not epic, though I’m not sure I would have found 66 Latour to be that great in that setting.

Well you can’t just leave us hanging like that. What was the setting? What happened? Those of us in Seattle are particularly curious…

I should say that I love all of their syrahs. And some people whose palate I trust say that the Bdx blends (including FP) are even better than the syrahs. So as with all things it depends on your likes and dislikes!

Well, I never had 66 LaTour but I had 67 Les Fortsa few times.Does that count? Sorry for the silly question but after 18 bottles at LBTG tonight including 2 SQNs, I’m a bit tired.