Help with moderately priced Chablis

Been drinking more and more chablis and now my wife wants us to stock up. I know hardly anything about good producers who can deliver in the daily(ish) drinker category (think sub $30). I’ve enjoyed Fevre’s stuff in the past, but havent had in a handful of vintages. Prefer low oak and high minerality/flint profile. Input/direction/advice would be appreciated.

La Chablisienne

Co-operative that produces very correct and quite frankly wonderful chablis imo. It’s my daily chablis drinker…and I drink A LOT of Chablis! [drinkers.gif] You can get all the great premier cru vineyards under $30…and even splurge for a GC at $40! [wow.gif] Love their Chablis!

[cheers.gif]

thomas pico vent d’ange

Louis Michel, village Chablis.
Screw cap, too.
Best, jim

Yes! And some of his 1er Crus come in at just around $30 if you shop around too!

Cheers,
Blair

Another big thumbs up for Louis Michel!!!

Servin 1ers

Patrick Piuze
Barat (can be had very inexpensive sometimes)

Gilbert Picq
Daniel Dampt

Christian Moreau. Often can get premier crus under $30. I would say Moreau-Naudet also, but for these the ability to get them is limited. Tragically, Stephane Moreau died about a year ago.

From the Cotes d’Or, so not Chablis, two great values are Bourgogne Blancs from Charles Van Canneyt and Domaine Dublere.

I would second Patrick Piuze.

I liked Barat’s 2014s. The 1ers can be had for ~25 bucks. Vaillons and Cote de Lechet were winners.

What recent vintages would you all recommend?

Most of my good answers are taken so I will add Pinson to the list.

Yes. Had some at a store portfolio tasting a few years ago and Josh Raynolds was there. He and my wife really liked this. I thought another one was better, but we all agreed that it was the QPR star. here’s my note on that bottle:

• 2007 Gilbert Picq & ses Fils Chablis Dessus La Carriere - France, Burgundy, Chablis (8/10/2013)
    This is a very nice opening level Chablis. Minerals and white grape with a bit of apple. This is not a fruit driven wine. It actually reminds me of some of the minerality and weight of a Meursault, different from the minerality of a higher level chablis, with the oyster shells not being here. The finish is moderate.

The took on weight as it took on air. If you can, give this 30-60 minutes of air in advance.

We bought this at Posner’s annual portfolio tasting a few years ago. Josh Raynolds and my wife both agreed this was the best of the base level Chablis, but there was a question of how it would develop. So far, it’s doing fine. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Moreau-Naudet

All of my suggestions have been mentioned: Gilbert Picq, Louis Michel, and Christian Moreau

The prices might have risen in recent years, but Tribut is a good one, too.

Domaine des Malandes…excellent wines at excellent prices. Look esp for the Tour du Rou Vieilles Vignes (village level old vine chablis) and Fourchaume Vieilles Vignes

Also, get 2014 while/if you can, as others noted.

Jean-Paul and Benoit Droin. Around $20 for the village bottling, and some of the 1ers (Vaillons for example) for $30.

Also like Samuel Billaud at a couple dollars more.

1 Like