TN: Hewitson Riesling GunMetal '16..(short/boring)

We tried this last night w/ dinner:

1. Hewitson Riesling GunMetal EdenVlly (12.5%; FrederickWildman) 2016: Med.gold color w/ slight tartrates crystals; some Mosel valve oil very flinty/steely/mineral/chalky/slatey slight mango/R very aromatic/mineral nose; slight dissolved CO2/bubbles very tart/tangy/grapefruity quite steely/flinty/mineral/metallic/chalky very light mango/R bit austere old-timey Alsatian R flavor; very long/lingering perfumed talc very mineral/steely/flinty/slatey bit Mosel valve oil light mango/R finish; GunMetal is a good description; very attractively priced at $24.00 (AV)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Never had a Hewitson R before and spotted it on the shelves at ArroyoVino, so had to try it. Very/very classic Australian EdenVlly R. Not a whole lot of fun to drink now but will probably be something spectacular, w/ lots of gout de petrol, in 10-20-30 yrs.
    Tom

PXL_20220702_005647337~2.jpg
My sibling and I unscrewed a 2019 Hewitson ‘Gunmetal’ Riesling [Eden Valley] last night and my thoughts would concur with TomHill. Of course his descriptors are much richer and varied than my low definition powers! Overall, I found it too lean, austere for my tastes as I prefer the German off dry style of kabinett riesling. Presumably it should keep well, based on its reputation, but I’d be surprised if US consumers would do that with screw capped bottles, given the perception that those are for immediate imbibing.

PS: this bottle had slight crystalline precipitates too, and it had only been in the fridge for a day or so