Ovid offer

Ovid offer just came out. $325/bti, increase of $40/btl from last year
Anyone try the 2014 yet?
Not sure i can keep buying as these prices continue to climb

Checking average retail on Winesearcher, these wines are virtually the same price in the market as at release. If I were obsessed with perfect provenance, or if I were devoted to newsletters or special events at the winery, it makes sense to order direct. However given the recent acquisition of Ovid by another entity, this timing looks quite a bit like an effort to recoup costs (of course I could be completely off base). I have gotten this wine for years, love the product, but I plan to source the wine in the open market. Less pressure to buy now, less pressure to buy in problem years. I also wonder, shudder the thought from those in the biz, that with Parker not being around to assign triple digit scores, are these price increases sustainable? Is not the relentlessly increasing prices tied to that hope of getting a relative “bargain”? Who will be around to move markets, Galloni? Jancis? Neal?

$325/btl is a lot for many of us. I can’t pay that for any bottle. Nor would I (most I have paid is for Heitz Martha’s at $225). The increase over the past vintage is quite large. I see many posts by people on here who are looking to pay way under $40/btl. See it all the time.

But the market will drive the price - supply vs. demand - and it is a choice buyers can make. If it is a purchase (along with winery perks) that makes you happy, go for it!

Thought the exact same thing when the offer came out yesterday. I was at their open house in the Spring and was told they were standing pat in terms of price. Guess not. I like the wines but not at this price. Agree that you can find these for less $ in the secondary market. Bordeaux is looking like a screaming value at the moment!

Wow, I just had the Ovid Napa Valley for the first time and the place was trying to charge me 385 for a bottle of the 2014. It was good but not 385 good. These prices are steep.

I bought the first few vintages but was quickly priced out.

Just another overpriced Napa Cab. Pass.

I was able to get a mag of the 2013 for under $300. That is likely the only bottle I will ever own. I own enough Napa Cab (and enjoy it), but I’ve had more bottles around $150 or less that I have enjoyed this last year than bottles above $150. I think the expectations are too high (for me), and even though it is a sunk cost, I find that I don’t drink them often enough to justify continuing to purchase them. I don’t think it is an issue of my palate changing - but maybe spending enough time on this board learning about other wines that I enjoy just as much for a lower price point.

ditto
I still have a bottle each of the 06 and 07.