TN: 2010 Maison Ilan - Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Chaffots (France, Burgundy, M.S.D.)

2010 Maison Ilan Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Chaffots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru (7/20/2017)
– cork pulled a couple hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 3 days –

NOSE: super stanky on Day 1 — either brett or reduction, or both. Oxidized by Day 3, despite being re-corked and put in fridge at end of Day 1 and also on Day 2.

BODY: earthy cherry color of light depth, with moderate bricking throughout; light to medium-light bodied.

TASTE: very acidic — some V/A? apple skins — a touch oxidized? smoky; entirely lacking in any “pure” fruit flavor; light tannin; somewhat spiky; just bad. This strikes me as being flawed in more ways than one. Staggering disappointment, given that I know exactly what went into barrel (and it was delicious!). A previous bottle was not flawed. Something(s) went wrong here … if this wine is going to be this variable then it’s best to consider it a wine to Drink Now. NR (flawed)

Flawed! Well, yeah, it’s over two thousand years old!
(Check your thread title)
What’s up with these Maison Ilan wines? Have not heard much.
Are they usually better performing than this? Where can I find them? Is there a list?

Pity. 2010’s, if anything, should have some ripe fruit.

New venture. Very hush hush…on the downlow (I think that’s the term). Will soon make a big splash unto the ring and body slam (or is it bitchslap…again, terminology) every player around. Sign up and gather lots of Faith & Hope that you’ll make it on the gravy train before it leaves the station.

But keep it quiet, lest the wines skyrocket in price like a rare streetracing car.

Bought direct?

If so, why not ask for a refund on that bottle? [stirthepothal.gif] [wink.gif]

So, wait and see? [snort.gif]

Agreed. And that’s how the previous bottle was: ripe, but not particularly interesting, and not flawed.

My last bottle was identical to yours the way you described it.

I larfed.

Brett, oxidization and VA sounds like heat damage.

Sounds like a case of different wines put into bottles bearing the same label to me.

Why?

Brett (and all microbial activity) blooms at higher than optimal temperatures. Oxidization is also encouraged by warmer temperatures, especially if the seal has been compromised. What are your thoughts?