Weird letter from SQN

Dear Wine Lover~

It is with sadness, distinct trepidation, annoyance and even downright disgust that we have to
send you this miserable notice. But – as hard as it may seem to understand – it is the right thing to do
because we should at least keep you updated and in the loop. Sending you an offering invitation
would be much preferred for sure, but Mother Nature was just not plentiful enough. So, what we are
forced to do instead is to tell you about the two wines we are offering up right now, but we don’t
have enough to offer you any quite yet.
They will be shipped in the Spring of 2018, but perhaps you can snag one somewhere – at a favorite
restaurant or top-notch retailer.
The wines are our 2015 Syrah Trouver l’arène (means “finding the arena”) and the delightful 2015
Grenache Le chemin vers l’hérésie which means “the path to heresy.”
Yes, they are lovely wines and no, we don’t get any satisfaction or pleasure whatsoever with this
notice, no matter how well intentioned the thought behind it is. Thank you very kindly for your
patience and for your hopefully continued interest. Please know we are working diligently at
getting you into the fold as soon as is possible.
To ensure we don’t unintentionally lose you along the way. Please take a moment to check that
your contact information is accurate and up to date. We have included a link HERE to make it
easy and automatically log you in.

With fondest wishes,

Elaine & Manfred Krankl

Interesting they are offering me wine that they are not offering me. [stirthepothal.gif]

They did it last year as well. I assume they do this every year (I only joined the wait list last year). I find it nice they ping us each year. Saxum also sent a sorry no allocation letter to me a few days ago.

Every year. Get used to it.
I have been on waitlist at least five years. My tastes have moved on from SQN’s style and I doubt I would buy at this point, but the letters are amusing at least.

distinct trepidation, annoyance and even downright disgust that we have to
send you this miserable notice

I think this part is new this year. I had a chuckle.

His prose is often like a cross between Dr. Seuss and Lemony Snicket.

I thought the weirdest part of the note was the P.S not included in the OP which was specifically added as a plug for Jeb Dunnuck’s new venture. To summarize the letter - “No wine for you. Sucks. Subscribe to Dunnuck, he is great”.

“P.S.: There is one positive item to report. Clearly there are a few helpful, delightful wine
publications. Robert Parker’s TWA, Antonio Galloni’s VINOUS and a number of well-known
others.
As you surely know Jeb Dunnuck has been our reviewer for The Wine Advocate for the past
several years. Jeb has now started his own publication – JebDunnuck.com. I have said it many
times, but without a doubt Jeb is intelligent, honest, insightful and interesting. If you want to read
more of what he said about SQN, Next of Kyn, The Third Twin or many other producers and
wine regions from around the world, including of course our beloved Rhone Valley, we
encourage you to subscribe with him.”

First, it’s a poor way to communicate to someone who’s very interested in your product they can’t have any. Second, So they don’t have enough to sell you but they appear to be selling some to retailers/restaurants where they tell you to go find it and enjoy it. Why I would never be on mailing list for this product or any like it.

It’s not what you say it’s how you say it.

“…{P}erhaps you can snag one somewhere – at a favorite restaurant or top-notch retailer.”

Can they make more money selling to a middle-man rather than to an end consumer?

I couldn’t disagree more. I think it is tremendously thoughtful and unique way to say we haven’t forgotten about you.
Also, if you don’t think your wines need to be in the best restaurants in the world…well…good luck. I also think Manfred takes care of the distributors that helped him in the beginning.

A big “WTF?”

I don’t see what all the fuss is about.

I preferred the postcards.

Been doing this for years. I always thought it was a nice touch delivered in a unique way. I never felt like I was forgotten (which would’ve been easy after a 10 year wait), and one day I finally got an offer.

Ryan
We will have to agree to disagree. IMO, It’s a terrible way to tell someone that they are not important enough yet, and others are. Had they removed that one sentence the rest would be perfectly acceptable. Sadly, if this was some relatively unknown winery that sent that people would be up in arms. Because it’s the beloved “SQN”, they can do no wrong in some people’s eyes. Always interesting to see the double standard that people allow certain behavior from select wineries and not others.

strange…my letter from them just said

‘f*ck you’

should I take this personal?..to me less reminiscent of Seuss or Snickets and rather leaning more towards Bukowski! :wink:

What a bunch of complaining Babies

SQN has the power to control a 10-15 year wait list, they do things their way and thats that. The email was not offensive, just amusing. If you dont like the emails drop off the list so i get on it quicker

Alan, a few thoughts on your post:

"SQN has the power to control a 10-15 year wait list, they do things their way and thats that. The email was not offensive, just amusing. If you dont like the emails drop off the list so i get on it quicker"

Valid comment.

What a bunch of complaining…

Okay, I guess. Not too civil, but well within bounds.

…pussies.

Over the line, and offensive. Please cut it out.

I’m having a hard time understanding what the supposed offense is here. In the past, I’ve signed up for mailing lists and never heard from them again, and when trying to contact them, have been completely ignored. Try getting one of the cults on the phone some time. Some don’t publish their email addresses or phone numbers; others just ignore you when you contact them.

SQN, on the other hand, not only answers every email promptly and courteously, but sends letters/emails to every single member of their waiting list twice a year apologizing profusely for being unable to sell them wine. And this is a sin? Maybe the language of this one was a bit too heavy on the self-flagellation, but a “we haven’t forgotten about you” message seems to me to be exceptional (and maybe unique) positive customer care.

Explain to me how this is a problem.

If this letter offends you sign up for the Marcassin waiting list. I’m sure you will be much more satisfied.

^^^^^^