Friday night pizza TNs: Two from Livio Sassetti

Haven’t posted any TNs recently, and this is a winemaker that always generates discussion because of the higher levels of vintage/bottle variability - quite possibly Tuscany’s answer to Giuseppe Mascarello’s wines ;^)

I liked both of these wines tonight, but the barnyard notes on the 2001 were too pronounced for my wife, who clearly preferred the focus and precision of the '99.

Beeyootiful! Seamless, spreads out on the palate, with decent acidity. Really drinking well right now.

Also seamless on the palate, but a touch less acidity here. I like this, but not sure which I prefer right now. I do think that the '99 will last longer than the 2001.

Posted from CellarTracker

Funny guy, but I can see where you’re coming from. Personally, I like Sassetti’s wines as well.

Pizza and Brunello, yum!

Good to see these notes Bob. I’ve found a lot more consistency in the 99 than the 01 (although the 01 Riserva is terrific). As much as I loved Sassetti’s work for so many years (85, 88,95 in particular) and fondly recall a visit many years ago, one of my very first, in hindsight it appears to me that they first took a wrong turn in 01…