MV Krug 164e v 163e: Two wines come in, only one bottle is polished off.

Had dinner last night with Jimmy G coming into town and we did a side by side with the 163 and 164e Krug Grand Cuvee

Krug markets the Grand Cuvee as a consistent wine each year but these wines couldn’t be anymore different. I don’t think i’ve had an amazing bottle of the 07 base for the MV krug. They’ve always had this sour streak in them I don’t really enjoy. But the 164… man oh man, second bottle I’ve had in the last two weeks and it’s consistently an incredible bottle of young champagne.

I’d easily buy the 164 over the 98/00/03 vintage Krug all day everyday

• NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 163eme - France, Champagne (8/10/2017)
    A pity it was consumed next to the vibrant 164. The 163 is rough around the edges in comparison. It has a grainy texture running through the palate with obvious wood influence and oxidized orchard fruit. The yeasty flavor overwhelms the fruit and there’s a sourness that’s just not appealing.
  • NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 164eme - France, Champagne (8/10/2017)
    750ml: What an incredible young wine. This wine screams 2008. The vintage character is so much more pronounced than I can remember any other MV krug being. It’s vibrant and filled bright sweet generous fruit, clean lines of acidity run through the back. It builds on the palate grows in intensity. Insane energy just running rampant in this wine. Outside of the Savoir Faire, this is the best MV i’ve had in the post red label world.

damn it, charlie, I might have to buy more now.

Stock up time!

45 cases isn’t enough for you already?! [snort.gif]

Any real baller must buy 3000 bottles.

Can’t wait to try one! Edson and I were craving a Krug last night at dinner, none on the list, so I thought about getting the bartender to shoot some co2 in our Carillon BBM! [wow.gif]

champagne.gif

164e or 06 comtes?

tremendous q rt there

Both.

Additionally, another prestige cuvee that’s similarly priced and currently wonderful to drink is the 2004 Dom Perignon.

Great trifecta in the $100-150 cat