Goings On at Kermit Lynch

I have, of course, bought a fair number of Kermit Lynch wines over the yrs and, in fact, back in the '70’s, met the guy in his store in Berkeley.
KermitLynch

They are in National distribution and available here in NM and to purchase on-line. I find, often, that their wines tend to be a bit on the pricey side.

I was just up in Denver/Boulder and picked up the usual odd stuff, mostly Italy, that I tend to buy. Freisa/Terrano/Fumin/Mayolet/etc. Weird stuff that interests me. I was noticing as I log them in that many of them were from Kermit Lynch.

So I took a look at their WebSite and found a whole ton of interesting producers. I had no idea that KL had penetrated the Italian market so deeply.

Also on their WebSite, I see that Bruce Neyers is still the head of their National distribution. I thought he’d left to run his wnry long ago exclusively. I also see that Kermit is a musician and has several of his CDs for sale there.

Take away…I need to pay more attention to the KL wines.
Tom

Historically, Kermit’s focus was on France, of course, but he did import Vietti for a number of years several decades back.

https://soundcloud.com/leviopenswine/bruceneyers

Tom, Kermit Lynch has had a fairly deep portfolio of Italian wines for several years, and it is expanding. The distributors in various states typically have only a smattering of the wines, but the California portfolio is considerable. If you are open to suggestions, I recommend Feuillet, Kante, San Michele and Nossing, particularly the latter, for off-the-beaten-path gems.

Martin,

Completely agree on Manni Nossing’s wines, particularly the Kerner.

Clos Canarelli can be quite good as well.

I’ve loved almost everything I’ve tried by Kermit Lynch. Because of that, I just signed up for his 6 bottle wine club every quarter. Can’t wait to try some new things over the coming year.

I’m a big fan of many wines imported by Kermit Lynch. However, I tend to buy from their retailers as the prices from the Kermit Lynch website tend to be on the high range. One of my favorite Kermit Lynch imports are the Lassalle Champagnes, especially the Cuvee Angeline.

There only two wine shops in Phoenix who I know carry their wines and both are fairly far away from me and don’t carry a lot of the selection unfortunately. I wish I live in a more mature wine market! (Phx)

We call it the Kermit Lynch Tax. There’s a North Berkley Tax also. [snort.gif]
Here in AZ a couple of distributors split up a small portion of the KL wines. Not much availability, or likely, demand.

We call it the Kermit Lynch Tax. There’s a North Berkley Tax also. > [snort.gif] >
Here in AZ a couple of distributors split up a small portion of the KL wines. Not much availability, or likely, demand.

Hey David - are you living in AZ? Would love to connect with some follow wine lovers in the area!

They’ve been sending me their monthly mailers for 15+ years and I actually read them, since they’re entertaining and informative. But buying direct from them does incur a bit of a premium usually. They have a sale a couple of times a year (I think its 20% off) that is worth the effort. Sometimes one can pick up their superb Muscat de Beumes de Venise (Dom. Durban) for sub $20 when that happens.

Kermit’s book is also worth a read, and its fast/easy/breezy book.

Kermit’s book is also worth a read, and its fast/easy/breezy book.

I just finished it and absolutely loved it. Just got back from Beaujolais and visited one of his producers there. (Thivin) Amazing experience and my daughter who is 18 cried when we left because it was so incredible sitting in his home, tasting his wines and having him tell us stories about the winery’s history.

Their website is a total ripoff and they follow the same buy-tons-of-dreck-to-get-allocations-of-good-stuff rules that alll the other importers follow. Have been very lucky to pick up choice bottles from retailers somehow higher in the food chain (I.e. Thanks Martin).

They bring in some great stuff though!

+1. Nossing and Pierre Guillemot are wines I know and enjoy thanks to Kermit Lynch.

Jeremy, ODV Wines (a new shop owned by Tracy and Chuck Dempsey) is carrying a few KLWM labels (some bubblies and rose’ mostly, from what I saw) and may be able to special order for you. The shop is on University in Tempe, just east of Priest, and officially opens in a week or so (it’s in soft opening now). Whole Foods Chandler has a few KLWM labels as well…as does AZ Wine Co in Scottsdale. Mark Tarbell’s shop has a bunch too.

PM Sent.

Nossing wines are a great value. If you see the 13 Kerner, grab it

I think they don’t want to undercut other retailers, which are their main avenue of distribution. It’s just like wineries that only sell at full list price.

That is a great point and I totally didn’t think about that but I’m sure you’re right.