TN: 2013 Boroli Barolo Cerequio (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

• 2013 Boroli Barolo Cerequio - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (8/8/2017)
    Classic garnet color. Intensely focused, structured and backward just now, though the material underneath the thick coat of tannins and high acidity reveals a wine of great purity and character. Good freshness, such taut lines, and crisp acidity. There’s an energy and elegance here that should benefit those who are willing to wait for this to enter its preferred plateau. Quite good, if coiled at the moment. 2024-2043+. Traditionalists welcome, hedonists stay away. The longer (more than double than in the past) maceration and softer extractions (submerged cap) really show in this wine, a lot more elegance these days. Less new/oak influence is helping the freshness and balance, too. highly recommended

Posted from CellarTracker

Hi Tim
I can’t see the related post on your website.
Regards
Ian

p.s. An interesting opinion piece on winery visits, currently at the bottom of your home page - did you post that for discussion here? I reckon it would make a good thread where people are asked to say what they want / don’t want in a winery visit (and why not invite those who host these to also say what they seek from their visitors!)

Hi, Ian

It’s not on my site yet. This stuff takes (too much!) time and I’ve been buried for (the better part of 4) months running. It’ll make it to the site, along with plenty of others, and thank you for your comments re: improving winery visits. IMHO there’s an opportunity to reinvent the tasting/visit experience in the mold that fits both stakeholders while delivering a better experience/more loyalty. Feel free to start a discussion, I’m buried up to my eyeballs. Just trying to post some stuff here as I process it to CT in case others want some early info.

The backlog is one of the reasons the posts are more shallow/easily digestible than I’d like, but once I get caught up, I can write the stuff I want to write (in addition to tasting notes/highlights).

cheers

I still have some Boroli from the 2000 and 2001 vintages and they have always struck as very modern in style. Has the winery changed its approach, Tim?

James, yes, they have changed quite a lot. Time on the skins/maceration is in the traditional now, >20 days, a minimum of new oak. Elegance, balance, purity, that’s what drives Achille now. Not quite a 180, but close enough.

fwiw, I have never purchased a Boroli wine for my cellar, for the same reason you mention, that’s changed now.

Do you know when this change took place?

Tim,

Thanks for the note. I’ve tried a 2006 and a 2001 (I think) of this Cru and been a little underwhelmed. I’m glad to hear they’re improving and taking a more traditional approach. I will try another bottle.

Cheers, Howard

@Pat, during the past 3 vintages, iirc

Thanks Tim. I’ve updated my categorization of producers accordingly.