"The Most Interesting Property in Oregon"

I wanted to post this thread to share what might be the most fascinating report on a vineyard/winery development project available online for everyone to see: Abacela’s site and grape variety research.

https://www.abacela.com/Story/Project.html

According to Decanter magazine, Abacela’s ultimate choice of location was dubbed “The most interesting property in Oregon” in a 2003 issue. Forgiving the writers for a touch of the dramatic, I do think that the winery’s willingness to share their research and conclusions is admirable.
PlaceGeology2.png
My only gripe, if I can be allowed to indulge in one, is the exclusion of Carignan for the sake of the winery’s pursuit of Iberian grape varieties - because Carignan (aka Mazuelo) is not an Iberian variety?!? :angry:

SiteTrials.jpg

Fascinating! Would love to see any qualitative data they collected on the different varietals – assuking they made 100% varietal wines from them?

Greg Jones, son of the owners, is a climatologist and an authority on climate change and wine…a pretty depressing field.

I had a Tempranillo from them years ago (around 2000 IIRC) and it was excellent. Bought a few more but kind of forgot about them. Thanks for posting this.