Berserkerday Pig Roast Santa Barbara Lompoc Whatever Day One

We purloin benches and gather under the palm trees at O’Cairns and drink great wine and decompress from our various journeys. Tomorrow is the Bacchanalia. Tonight was two 1997 Bonnes Mares, 1999 Malconsorts, 1998 Hanisch, Rhones Northern (a great Cote Rotie) and Southern (CdP), under the palm trees, many lies were told. We are all Canadian apparently.
20170804_225921.jpg

My personal Odyssean eight hour travails in getting here…more than worth it already. I haven’t even met Cargs yet.
20170804_173524.jpg

Looks like a fun time. I love Lompoc.

Keep the reports coming!

There are several sets of photos circulating on Facebook so someone will accumulate a full report on this board at some point.

My favorite wines were the '07 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay, the '96 Phelps Napa Valley Cab, and the Paul Bara Rose, though I didn’t come even close to trying 1/10th of the wines that were there. The pics on Facebook are awesome - hopefully we can share some more here as well.

No kidding all these berserkers and no camera? Come on.
Who’s Facebook page?

Early on, a shot of the three buckets used to hold white wines (2 were completely full, one half full)

George holding his own wine pouring, rather than sharing on the reds table:

A shot of the reds table very early on - this is about 1/4 of what was on the table, but it’s a nice clear shot. I hope someone grabbed one when it was full!

I like this shot - our setup from afar (from the vineyards, thanks to Bruce who went on the tour)

Our fiery sunset

For those on Facebook, here’s Bruce’s photo set: https://www.facebook.com/leiserowitz/media_set?set=a.10214197462671210.1073741941.1253713100&type=3&pnref=story

Francine Haight and Bruce Leiser_owitz posted 20-30 photos each on Facebook, and George Chadwick posted a bunch as well. I’ve put a few on here, and a link to Bruce’s photos because he put them in one album.

I love this shot of the pig smoker - amazingly simple and ridiculously effective. Bone and I had to dig the ‘pit’ to spec at 7:30 am the morning of the event

Here is Bone using the proper footwear one would use for such a task (I think he has a photo of me as well)

Yeah, that helps. [stirthepothal.gif]

Photos

Bruce’s Photos Albums

:warning: Sorry, this content isn’t available right now

The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you’re not in.
Go back to the previous page · Go to News Feed · Visit our Help Center

Guess you need to be friends with him :slight_smile:

People that live in Lompoc don’t even say that. [wow.gif]

I have pix and a ton of tasting notes which il get up soon.

The vineyard tour of Domaine de la Côte with Sasha was amazing. The top vineyard looks like it’s planted on Mt Whitney with the wind howling. Too bad it can’t produce fruit, you don’t know unless you try. The vineyard right next to it has 7,000 vines to the acre, wild.

Interesting too that Dave Phinney and Wagner from Meiomi took some of their money and each bought 185 acres in SRH. Wagner’s is on the valley floor below DdlC planted to PN but Phiney is planting in a place that is the most extreme in SRH. Not sure that’ll work… It’s a hash environment.

Standard issue Cali footwear dude!
IMG_6355.JPG

Steel toe flip-flops

Pix
20170805_172436_HDR.jpg
20170805_184316_HDR.jpg
20170805_154424_HDR.jpg
20170805_154528.jpg
20170805_154601_HDR.jpg
20170805_185813.jpg
20170805_165621.jpg
20170805_175950.jpg
20170805_190703_HDR.jpg

there we go! A pic of most of the reds, and some inebriation!

Yep, lots of $$$$ being invested in the area at this time - with more to follow for sure.

And lots of grape purchases by these guys throughout the valley - our area continues to produce top notch fruit and more ‘reasonable’ prices than areas north of us. Of course, this situation is leading to increased pricing for the rest of us [swearing.gif] [swearing.gif] [swearing.gif] [swearing.gif]

Cheers!

You can see Wagner’s vineyard at the bottom with very young vines. A monster. That’s looking straight across the valley south east at Sanford from the far west end up Sweeney road.
FB_IMG_1502139090805.jpg

Yep - you’re soon gonna fond some sub-$25 SRH pinots out there :slight_smile: